Saturday, July 20, 2013

1982 Roberta's letter - July 20

Roberta sends a letter to New Vienna in July 1982, prior to HH and Jean returning from their trip to Europe with the Sankers. Transcription follows.

7-20-82 

Dear Family,

According to my calculations the Uible population in New Vienna ought to be doubling soon – just yesterday got a card you all had mailed on 5th July.  I'll be anxious to hear about the trip.

We've had alot of excitement - right in our back yards.  Someone – car & all landed in the canal last nite – about 6:00 AM this morning.  The car got out sometime mid morning - but they haven't found any body yet!!  So there has been lots of officials & onlookers around!!

I've had some luck in Renting out the cabin – last 3 weekends had it rented.  But then I've had to board Charlie out – so I'm still not getting RICH QUICK!!

Thursday I went out & picked up Charlie & took both to the groomers – Didn't have enough time to get Charlie back to his home away from home that night so kept him - he did fine - till about 7:00 AM next morning – when he jumped the fence!!

– Now Sunday PM – thanks for calling this aftn.  Hope it won't take too long for both of you to get aught up on your sleep!!

I'm enclosing some more pictures – perhaps you could mail the BALL GAME pictures on to the Hortons.  Also maybe John/X would like one of the pictures taken outside Grandma' house.  I'm glad to have some good pictures of Grandma – in everyday type clothes!!

Mary Virginia – Remember REBA - she moved out today.  IT was her decision - Tho - I didn't try to talk her out of it.  She was a real character = always told me she had socialized w/lawyers & attornies! (sp?)

There has been alot in the news lately about the Board of Supervisors - Budget Time – so everyone is playing chess.  The news is out that there will be no raises for employees in fact a 35 hour work week is being discussed.  Final budget deadline is 9th August.  Senior Village did get approval for some 50 Thou Reserving $ – most of that is Ann Pre... salary – that's outside the general budget.

Why don't you all give pictures of Wolframs to them –

I've ordered reprints for myself of the group of picture - so you can keep them – just don't file them away in a shoe box.

Gotta go – Love, Roberta
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album