Monday afternoon, August 28, 1978Dear Mom, Dad, Mary Virginia and John (?),
Hi! The letter you mailed Friday arrived today so I guess that is not bad service. I was surprised that you could get a letter from us in two days, especially two weeks in a row. I mailed a letter to Gerry's folks last Wednesday and they called us on Friday and said that they had received it that day. I guess cross country mail moves faster than the local!
Not much is new on the job hunting situation. We didn't go to Klamath Falls. This guy never called Gerry back to set up the interview and when Gerry called him he was "out". And then we heard through a friend that is still at Clifford's [Gerry's previous employer] that this guy had been in touch with Clifford. Gerry feels that even if he and Mr. Clifford didn't get along personally Mr. Clifford could at least say that he did the job while he was there. Gerry also talked to Chico this morning and they said they haven't made a decision yet but at least they are not eliminating him on the basis of one person's say. Gerry has several other people connected with International that he is using for reference also so that should help. Today Gerry has gone up to Newark [San Francisco Bay area] (Horton Equip. that is opening the new store in San Jose). They keep stalling him because they aren't ready to open the store yet, but at least they are still talking. Doug (Gerry's friend who is still with Clifford) wants to get a salesman job with Horton so they were going to meet for lunch and trade notes. There are a couple of other jobs in the San Jose area Gerry was going to check on also.
Tomorrow we are going down to Salinas to see what the job situation is there and possibly on Wednesday or Thursday we will go over into the valley – Fresno area. Someone had told Gerry about an opening in Wellton, Arizona (near Yuma) but it had already been filled.
If Gerry hasn't found a job by the end of next week then we are going to try to sell our furniture and head elsewhere as we don't think it would be worth paying another month's rent here. We are paid right now through September 20. Gerry had heard rumors that his old job in Sanford might be available and his folks of course would like us to live nearer but I don't think Gerry is to hep on that. We'll just have to see how things turn out. It is now Tuesday A.M. It doesn't look hopeful with Horton Equip. as he now says that the new store won't be open until at least January. Unless Gerry could do something else and then start there in January – but there is no guarantee. We were talking last night though about possibly staying here in Gilroy through October 20 so there would be more time for something to develop. We'll see how the next two weeks go. Right now it seems like we are turning over alot of stones but not finding much of anything underneath them.
It will be nice to see Roberta and Grandma. Do they have any sort of itinerary? Did they go to Yosemite last year? We have all sorts of travel info and brochures on California parks.
We are leaving for Salinas in a few minutes so I better close. I'll try to keep you informed by letter but we'll call if things get bad or if we have good news to report.