Friday, January 01, 2021

1991 Serena's Letter -Jan.1

 


January 1, 1991

Dear Everyone:

At long last believe it or not I have been trying to catch up on all my work at home.  What a a fun way to start the new year!  Of course now that my files are more or less up to date rather than in stacks by decades, maybe it will be slightly easier to find things.

For those of you who may have not heard from me for awhile, which admittedly is almost everyone, my last big letter campaign was about a year ago -- when I wrote about half of everyone for whom I have an address, then I wore out.  Then I got ambitious again about six months ago, but being older I wore out even more quickly.  The really embarrassing part is that I have no real idea of to whom I wrote.  Unfortunately everyone I run into swears they haven't heard from me in ages.  I have decided there is some correlation between the people I never run into and the people I write.  No wonder I quit writing Christmas cards after the second one.  I've been working on the same package of Christmas cards now for five years -- I'm giving the leftovers to Goodwill.

Anyway, I left my job as reference librarian in suburban Peoria (Alpha Park Library to be exact) at the end of June.  I am now director at Greenville Public Library in Greenville, Ohio.  (For those of you who thought I was still a clerk in Chicago -- just call me, it is just too complicated.)  As far as how I like my job -- well, it pays a whole lot better than being unemployed and it gives me something to do with my time.  It also helps me appreciate the times when a really bad day meant dealing with lots of junior high students.

I now live in Greenville the famous town known for Annie Oakley, Lowell Thomas and Zachary Landsdowne.  It does have certain advantages over Peoria -- I'm a lot close to people who I can go visit to get away from where I am living.  For those of you who note a certain lack of enthusiasm about my current situation, well, it could be worse -- maybe I should re-read Sartre's NO EXIT.  All I really remember about NO EXIT from my long ago reading is that hell is not being able to escape from a small group of really annoying people.  I do definitely see unambiguous similarities.

Anyway my siblings, are a happier lot.  Mary Virginia, my favorite younger sister, is now happily married to Donny Crowson and she is happily employed as director of music at THE Methodist church in Somerset, KY.  My favorite brother is engaged to be married to Julie Ashbaugh (sp?) [Note: Serena now knows her maiden name is Ashcraft]  and they plan a May wedding.  Roberta and Catherine, my favorite old sisters, are happily living in Phoenix.  This is obviously a QUICK sketch -- I've left out my in-laws, the children, the cats, vehicles, trips, etc., but I figure hey, life is short.  (In my current existence "life is short" is known as deep philosophy.)

Well, as usual, I close with my address and phone number -- this may be a limited time offer . . .  I have a rude impersonal answering machine, so that I an not be reached out and touched by annoying salespeople and other harassments of modern day life.

Love,

Serena

[Handwritten note to Mom & Dad]  

Dear All,

Here finally is your phone list -- if you find mistakes or problems, let me know.  Thanks for fun in Dayton at Christmas.  I spent all of the past week-end at home -- I'm over cold & bad headache finally.

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album