Saturday, January 16, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Jan.18



 Monday evening
January 18, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John and Mary,

Hi!  I was glad to get your letter today -- the mail delivery isn't too slow!  Thanks for the clippings.  It will be interesting to see if that guy makes it around the world in 80 days.  If he is starting about now he should be back about the first of April or a little later shouldn't he?

We went to several stereo places in Kalamazoo; found and bought one that we really like.  It is a Sylvania with a Gerrard turntable.  According to Debby (who has a Magnavox) Sylvania and Magnavox are the two best makes of stereos.  The one we got is the best looking one we had seen and won our favor because it combines all the qualities we wanted.  It is portable, the speakers fit on to the back  so that it can be carried; and it has a plug in for ear phones although we didn't get them.  It was originally $179 and was marked down to $140.  I know this is considerable more than the amount you told me but we decided we liked it so well that we would split the difference of what you don't pay.  I hope that meets with your approval.  After one week of service we are even more positive about it.  I thank you for a much appreciated birthday suggestion.

The Mayo Clinic Diet sounds interesting.  How are you all progressing?  

If you change your minds about coming to Kalamazoo come ahead.  It doesn't look like we will be able to make it down.  Just today I got phone calls about the possibilities of two jobs.  One for half days at the library, that is at the College library.  The lady who has been supervising during the days is going back to her old job of teaching -- substitute for the rest of the year.  Anyway Mrs. Pinkham hasn't found anyone to replace her yet so someone is needed for the interim.  This isn't definite yet as the old supervisor is working through this week and possibly next week.  Mrs. Pinkham said she would let me know.

The other job is as a key puncher at Ambassador.  I am to go in tomorrow to talk to the guy about being put on the payroll, at first only temporarily.  They have a regular key punch operator who works during the days so any I do would be after five or on weekends.

Dick's interview in Detroit went pretty well.  He found out that the original 700 applicants had been narrowed down to some 250 who were interviewed.  They eventually award 65 scholarships so we are holding our breath to see how it comes out.  If he has been rejected he may find out this week.  The final selection will not be made until the lst two days in February.  In the meantime I am holding off on sending in my application to library school at Western Michigan and I am checking on the library school at the University of Chicago which is Dick's first choice.  Since the deadline at Western isn't until July 1 I don't it will hurt my chances to hold off until next month if necessary.  I would rather do that than have to refuse an acceptance which probably wouldn't come by then anyway.

My translating is coming along pretty well.  I really applied myself last week and today and all of a sudden I am over half finished with the first story.  Hopefully I can get in to see my advisor tomorrow to find out if I am doing an OK job.  I don't want to do a whole lot more work until I get his approval or find out what is wrong with what I have done.

I wrote a letter to Roberta last week but I haven't gotten any response yet.  I got a letter from Darrel Everman who is in Korea so thanks to whoever passed on my address to Tim Laycock.

The Dr. told me not to worry about the thyroid and I have an appointment to go back to see how my anemia is progressing on Feb. 8.  I have been consistently taking my iron pills.  I have also felt pretty well lately.  I am really enjoying the new coat.  I have been giving both it and the long underwear a workout as I have taken a couple long walks and have not frozen yet!

Love, Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album