Saturday, January 23, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter -Jan.25

 

Monday evening
January 25, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, and Mary,

I was really overwhelmed with mail today!  A letter and a postcard from you plus one of those "quality" income tax ones from Saga (they paid me $10.44 last year of which 50¢ was deducted), birthday cards from Roberta and Grandma and a letter from Darrel.  Thanks for the check.  We are enjoying the stereo tremendously.  I have the speakers here in the kitchen right now since Dick and Mrs. Hall are both asleep.


Tell Serena I made up for her not getting her permit yet.  On January 20 I took the written test and I now have a temporary Michigan drivers license.  The permanent one takes 30-45 days.  I missed one question on the test.  It was about how long a person must have a permit before he applies for a license.  I put 7 days and the answer was 30.


Dick got a nice but disappointing letter from the scholarship people.  I mailed my application to Western's library school so now I wait and see.  I had to enclose a one page handwritten letter about why I want to be a librarian so I mentioned that my mother was a librarian and my father a library enthusiast!


I finished my translation of The Tiger, Joseph and have started on Dreams although I still have some smoothing and all the retyping to do on Joseph.  


After one day at my new jobs, I really enjoy the library.  It think it is about the most "on my own" job I have ever had.  The job at Ambassador makes a nice contrast.  All I have to do is key punch (sort of like a very fancy and light touch electric typewriter) card after card after card after card!  The pay scale on both jobs has changed since last week.  I am getting $2/hr at the library and $125 for 20,000 cards at Amb.  I only did 150/hour today so I am going to have to improve my speed or I won't be making any money.  


Dad, I am sort of confused about my Foremost stock.  They sent me four copies of "Copy B" information return.  Each of them reports that they paid me $40.  Tow of them are in just my name and the other two are for you as Cust.  I assume that they paid me $40 which I report.  But why do I get so many copies?  Or did they pay me $80 or $160?


Dick got his wisdom teeth pulled today so he isn't feeling extremely chipper.


I found a recipe for real German-type poppy seed cake so I am going to make it for myself as a birthday present.  It is a really strange recipe and sort of complex but I decided I would attempt it.  It is made from a yeast dough but after letting it raise once you pound it down, pour cold water over it and let it rise again until the dough emerges from the water.  Did you every hear of such a thing?  The poppy seed filling is spread over the dough and then it is rolled up like a jelly roll.  I will let you know how it turns out!


Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album