Thursday, January 21, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Jan.24

 

January 24, 1971
[partially abridged]

Dear Family,

Thanks alot for the post-card.  It is now about ten after ten and we just got back from Tigard which is a pretty fair sized town about ten miles or so from Newberg.  We went to a Fred Meyer which is a store like Swallens and I bought the record Jesus Christ Super-star.  Does that sound familiar?

Friday night I got my stereo fixed . . . I about went broke paying for it . . . actually it only took about two minutes to fix and didn't cost me anything.  The whole trouble was that the dealie by the needle was moved to play 78 records and not lps or whatever.  The lady told me that there was a difference between 78 records and other records . . . what made me the maddest is that it sat around and then finally I took it down and took time and all.  That is as bad as calling a t.v. repair man to fix a T.V. that isn't plugged in and that is the reason it isn't working.

Friday when I took the stereo down I bought a cassette tape and I have been in the middle of taping a tape to Julie Wiget since about ten thirty Friday night.  I got a sixty minute tape . . . I really should have gotten a thirty minute tape.  This afternoon I got Pam and Mary Ferguson in here talking and I just turned on the tape player.  I am using Mary's tape player.  Pam got one for Christmas but she was gone this week-end so I just used Mary's, hers is easy(er) to operate. 

Yesterday we went into Portland, and we went into the worst part of Portland -- at least that is what they told me.  About eight of us on this poverty group in the class Social Problems had to go in (but only seven went).  The funny part was that we couldn't find it for anything and finally we asked a man after we drove around for a long time and asked him where we could find a slum.  He told us to go up about a block and then turn right and go till 3rd avenue.  That was where Pam and I walked all around till the time that our train left right before Thanksgiving.  We got out of the car and there were seven of us.  Four girls and three boys.  One of the boys said he thought we better all stay in one group to be safe, oh, brother.  I think those boys were half scared . . . after about ten minutes we broke up in two groups.  Our group went to the Salvation Army drop-in and got to talk to one of the officers there and he took us on a trip through the soup-line, chapel etc.  We were able to see the recreation room where the men on the alcoholic cure program are.  The recreation room had one of these fancy big wood colored T.V. set and also a very nice pool table.  I guess the officer realized I was looking at them very closely and he told me that men who had been on the program but are now out successfully working have bought that for the men.  Their program is financed half through United Good Neighbors and the other half by men on the rehab program.

I haven't heard from University of Cinn.  -- it has been two weeks from tomorrow since I wrote to them.

It is now Monday night.  I thought I would wait to mail this in case I heard from you all today.  I did have a letter from you all -- thanks.  And also for the book, immersion coil and government post-cards.

I haven't heard anything about the hippies in James Terrell's tenant house.  Keep me up on the news.  Only 11 months until Christmas!

Love,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album