Wednesday, January 13, 2021

1971 Catherine's Letter to Serena -Jan.15


 Friday morning
January 15, 1971

Dear Serena,

Hi!  Happy birthday to you!  I would sing happy birthday to the tape recorder and then send you the tape so you could be so lucky on your birthday as to hear me singing.  However, it might ruin your day so I hope you can bravely bear the loss!  Also, I hope you like the present I am sending you.  I had a hard time trying to decide what to send you since I only had 7¢.  Believe me, I spent hours walking all over town searching for something you might like.  I finally gave up and decided to send you one of my most prize possessions which I have been saving for at least two weeks since it was my last piece.

What have you been reading lately?  I spend most of my time translating but I keep a couple books around in English so I won't forget how to ready in my own language.  Right now I am reading Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship by Goethe (pronounced Gerta).  Even when I read books in English I try to read ones that have been translated from German because it will probably help me graduate as a German major.  Anyway this one is a rather long novel (542 pages in paper back and I've read 55) about this guy who starts out being really naive and I suppose at the end will be mature.  Right now he is fantastically in love with an actress who doesn't really care anything about him but likes having him around until her rich boyfriend comes back form his vacation.  There is one chapter in which he is telling her a long story about his childhood and she falls asleep.  The chapter ends with this sentence:  "It is to be wished, that in future, our hero, when recounting his favorite histories, may find more attentive hearers."

Another book I have been playing around with is A Vision by Yeats.  This one isn't German.  Both Dick and a friend of ours, Bruce, are also excited by this book.  Wednesday night Bruce came out and we sat up all night reading it to each other.  It is the kind of book that is read slowly and takes a lot of studying.

I hope your 16th birthday is a good one.  I don't remember a whole lot about mine but I know that 6 years minus nine days later I'm doing well!

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album