Thursday, January 28, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Jan.29

 

January 29, 1971

Dear Family,

Thanks alot for your letter today and also for the newspaper articles.  There is a girl here with the last name Hinshaw and I want to ask her if there might be some connection.

Today about three o'clock I got ready to go down town and got out what I thought was a check for 6.75 from my stock in Colorado.  It turned out to be from Sears and for tax purposes.  When I got it -- I think it was Monday of this week I thought it was a check and put it in my bill-ford [sic].  Did you all send me a check?  Or was all that stuff tax return stuff?  I was thinking that I could have lost a check -- that is if I ever had it.  I was quite shocked today when I realized it wasn't a check . . . .

This week has really been a great week weather wise.  You would never know you were in Oregon.  It has been pretty warm -- at least forty and hasn't even rained much.

Happy Catherine's Birthday!!!  I have had two letters from Catherine lately.  She told me about her two part time jobs and all.

I also had a letter from Aunt Mary today, along with a copy of Joe's last letter.  It does make a little more sense to me to drink in Africa where there is such bad water but it seems just senseless to drink here in the United States where we have such good water, etc.

I am taking part in the reading program that is here at George Fox.  If I'm not wrong there is a little about it on the other side of this.  It really surprised me -- the school doesn't charge us anything for it.  That was almost too much for me.  I will get extra credit in English for taking it plus the fact that it should help me.  I have to go for three hours a week, one hour at a time.  I believe I am to go on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays but I want to change that because on those days i am so busy already and then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I only have one class and that is at nine in the morning.  That is not counting my Criminal Investigation class on Thursday evenings.  I really like that class . . . I just hope it transfers ok and that they have a class there Spring Term.

I still haven't hard from University of Cinn.  I have written them twice and if I don't hear from them pretty soon it will be a hopeless cause.

Wednesday morning when we went to breakfast there were no chairs.  Some of the boys here had taken them all out and hid them up in the fourth floor of one of the old buildings around here.  It was pretty funny.  But, by lunch most of chairs had been moved back, and by supper all of the chairs were back.  It was written up in the Portland and Salem newspapers.  Even made the front page of one of the papers -- they must sure be desperate for news . . . .

I have written the Bruces a post-card, but haven't heard from them yet.  I wonder what I'll be doing over Spring Vacation . . . .  I have been trying to type this too fast and this paper isn't exactly erase-able typing paper.  I have sure been using my type-writer.  

I still haven't heard from J and W about my income tax W-2 form.  I wish they would get on the ball or I am going to need some you-know-what for spring vacation.  (MONEY -- in case you had any doubts)

Thanks for the pretty stamps included in your letter today.  I found about ten Christmas stamps in my drawer when I cleaned it out today looking for another check since I found out that what I thought was a check wasn't a check -- I never found a check so either I was confused from the first or I threw it away.

I also heard from Phoebe Zavitz today.  She is still planning on going to Wilmington College but she hasn't heard from them yet.

Have you heard anything about Cris going to the AF Academy in COLORADO???  Aunt Mary said something about it in her letter today that he had been interviewed and also had taken a test or something.  Aunt Mary also had met some people that knew about George Fox College because they had spent some time here in Newberg.  I don't blame them leaving Oregon and going to Florida -- especially during the flood season here.

How long will you all be gone in April if everything works out that you all can go?  When will you be leaving?

Well, I better be closing off . . . I have alot more to do tonight . . . .  Hope my picture comes in ok.  Remind me about the seven dollars when my income tax money comes in . . . ok???  I am taking too much History . . . Civilization is pretty hard . . . very time consuming if I would do all that I should . . . right now I am app. a week and a half behind on my notebook that we are suppose to keep and hand in at the end of the term.

Hope all is fine and write when you can . . . .

Love
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album