Friday, January 08, 2021

1975 Roberta's letter to John -Jan.11

 

January 11, 1975
[Roberta now in college in Florida and John at Exeter]

Dear John --

Back to school after a nice long vacation -- I'm so sorry I didn't get to spend it with you!  (Or vice versa -- you didn't get to spent it w/ me!

I've already had a week of classes & already seem to be about a week behind in everything!  Statistics is so time-consuming for me.  I even have a calculator to use & it still takes me hours to figure stuff out!  It's really a new experience for me.

I've hired a tutor for statistics -- @ $10 an hour.  I'm to meet w/ her tomorrow night.  At that price she should really be good -- I hope it doesn't take long to teach me.  Right now we are on all these charts & graphs -- also standard deviation & variance!  If I don't pass this course there will be no diploma for Roberta come June!

I had a letter form MOOSE (VANESSA) -- she is among the unemployed -- and would you believe going to the vocational school taking typing and some kind of computer programming class.  Can you imagine Vanessa programming a computer??

How are your classes in 1975?  Are you taking new courses or what?  I can't wait till my spring break -- its only 10 weeks away. (1 week down -- 10 more to go!)  Then I'll still have my science course to mess w/ for 3 more weeks -- but I'll have YOU KNOW WHAT (statistics) out of the way.  I'll die if I flunk out & have to go to summer school.

Hi!  It's now Monday morning -- January 13th -- Do you recall what happened 6 years ago today -- Granddaddy died -- then 5 years ago today Vanessa & I got hired at NCR.  (6 months later to be laid off.)

I have sent you a package -- a late Christmas present.  I've almost got all my Christmas shopping done now -- that's for 1974!

Are you working at the Church -- what kind of Church is it?  What exactly do you do?  I work Sundays -- haven't had a Sunday off since around Thanksgiving time.

I'm only working 2 days now -- I miss not working so much but I decided I had to realize that school is important.  Last quarter I worked alot & didn't study much.  So far this quarter I've not worked that much but still don't study any too much.  I've got to get into the swing of studying THIS WEEK.

All the Hortons say Hello -- you know Rob is out at the junior college.  I haven't seen him open a book yet!

Grandma is her good old self!

Write & let me know what's happening w/ you at Exeter!  Also let me know any N.V. gossip you found out about while you were home -- How was Rabbi Rider?

Love, Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album