Wednesday, January 06, 2021

1976 GHU Letter - Jan

 

Tues. evening [probably Jan 8, 1976]

Dear Family - I wonder if my letters are worth 13¢ [first class postage rates went from 10¢ to 13¢, and postcard from 7¢ to 9¢ on Jan. 1, 1976] when perhaps I only write 2 cents worth.  Anyway we finally got Rob in the mood to go to the P.O. to-day to get 2¢ - 3¢ -13¢ stamps & wanted 1¢ which they didn't have & Air-gram [sic] which were lacking as we find that it will cost 31¢ now to send an air mail letter to Joe.  

We wondered how long Catherine would be in Africa.  I will return Roberta's card for she may want to keep them & perhaps John will want the stamp.  I wonder how long Roberta will be staying in India.  Her money must be holding out alright for the present at least.  

I do feel sorry about Marie & wonder what her trouble might be.  I wrote a note & enclosed a postal card (stamped) & told her I would appreciate hearing from her or one of the family as to how she was feeling.  I don't think she writes from what she has said.  

Bill said he talked to John yesterday.  I wondered if he got enough exercise to last for awhile.  If you have a little energy left after working on the corner lot & office repair you might think about the grape vines sometime this month.  I don't suppose you ever heard from the tree man.  

Now comes tax time again.  I paid the property tax today for the year & didn't send any stamped envelope for receipt return for I thought the check was enough.  I will try to get figures together some time this month for income taxes.  They are beyond me, I fear.

George -- the man across the street who is some what retarded or  -- came over Sat. & said he was hungry for he had nothing to eat & was on a salt free diet.  I divided a few things I had & Bill gave Rob some money to take him to the grocery & he bought mostly baby food.  He has cats & more cats to feed.  Perhaps his welfare check for Jan. hadn't come.  

Marianne, R.R, & Mary went to visit Roberta Dicks & family this evening.  Marianne & baby will be leaving tomorrow afternoon.  She wanted me to help pack when she saw what I had hanging in my closet she couldn't believe that I had gotten the things in my suit case.  So she got her things out on the bed & I packed.  (More than anyone needed for 2 weeks).  Everything in & hope the cases hold to-gether.  They are large & toys mostly in one.  Christmas presents, make-up, hair drier, etc.

Little Robbie [Kintner] fell out of bed Sat. evening & of course it hurt & scared him along with M. -- she thought perhaps she should take him to a Dr. but I didn't think so.  It only made a little red spot.  He is quite a climber & will have more bumps as time goes along.  Mary & Bill were at their bi-monthly card club.

I don't believe I mentioned that I sent your Christmas letter on to the Williams.  Mary looked up their address in the telephone book.  We knew about where we went last year to call but was not sure about the number.  You will see that I am enclosing a check for the church so please hand it in when convenient.  Mail being as it is I wonder if we get Sat. mail in N.V. the P.O. is closed here.  I believe the mail was delivered Sat. most forget.  The new rate may make a difference in Jack mail for Booklets.  Did you get the Bulk letters out before the increase for they surely advanced also.

Had a nice letter from Serena.  It is good to know that she is enjoying her school work.

I didn't know that Mary V. was a little timid about swimming.  Being a girl scout I guess I just took for granted that she was a good swimmer by this time.

Jean if your club or some organization is selling nuts this year you might get me 2# for I can use them as time goes along.

It's time to call it a day --

Love to all --
Mother

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album