Wednesday, January 20, 2021

1981 Roberta's Letter -Jan.22


 [1/22/81]
Thursday pm
Dear Family,

Seems like a long time since I've written -- but I do have quite a few good excuses!!

Thanks for your last letter -- I'm glad the package got there safe & sound!  It did make good time -- one of the benefits of not getting a package in the Christmas Rush!!

Buffy has a most sever case of Valley Fever -- he's now home -- but taking very strong medication -- plus shots twice a week.  The medicine is so strong there is a great danger of doing damage to the kidney/liver -- He has to have his blood tested also quickly for  8  weeks!  Besides all the medication -- he has to have food supplements -- I feel like a full time nurse!!

For the last week I've also been nursing Marion.  She was on her way home from visiting Buffy a week ago today (1/15/81) when she hit a curb -- (WAS ON THE BIKE!).  The Bike hit the sidewalk & she hit a gravel area -- really hit quite hard.  She had to get stitches in her hand  [or head?] -- her shoulder / arm / leg & other places have bad burn areas on them.  First they thought just sore muscles -- but now idea of broken ribs, etc. --

She is in much pain -- can't even pull the sheet up over her.  Has all kinds of bandages -- one for the ribs, legs, etc.

Yesterday HMO took x-rays -- won't know results till tomorrow -- I really think she should have been in the hospital -- but HMO (since they pay 100%) really keeps their members out of the hospitals!  Marion is some improved -- but much further to go.

As to the bike -- the windshield broke, front alignment out of kilter, right turning signals bent off.  She had me get the bike fixed -- that cost just about $100 -- most of that being the windshield.  The accident happened at Dobson / 8th Avenue.

I've been wearing my helmet lately -- short & long trips.

Marion's worst problem is that she isn't comfortable in any position -- laying down, sitting up -- etc.

I had a letter today from Catherine -- I had sent her a bedspread that Marion had paid $200 for a few years back -- them she decided it didn't go OK here -- (besides she wanted & got a new one) -- Marion had wanted to get rid of it -- Salvation Army -- so I grabbed it up for the Morgans.  It's yellow -- do you remember it?

Did I tell you we went up to Payson actually North of there -- was really pretty -- and very cold!

We are both enjoying the CORDLESS phone -- did I tell you I got one for out at work?  Really appreciate it there more & it just amazes all the seniors!!  Here we get a perfect connection -- but out there it's not as perfect!!  I think I've got to move the wires away from the fluorescent light -- maybe that will help!

I have been rather depressed -- by some news I got in the mail -- a statement type of thing from the Mortgage Co.  After making these big payments since April 1st of last year -- actually only every other month -- ONLY $65 -- has actually gone toward the house!!  And $3,388.00 went toward interest!!!  I just can't get over it -- now I know why these banks -- etc. have such nice lobbies -- landscaping, etc.  Just can't get over it!!!

Then -- And I'm going to call up the Mortgage Co. over this -- we were paying them extra $40 a month -- and that went into a IMPOUND /UNAPPLIED.  Now at the end of the year -- they say they can a) put it toward monthly payment. b) send you a check or c) apply it toward principal payment.  I (WE) wanted that $ to go toward principal every month -- as it was paid.

Then there are other columns -- taxes, Hazard Insurance, etc.  It still gets me -- $400 BIG BUCKS every other month & I find out I've paid $32.50 (half of $65) toward something concrete!  One good note -- the payments did come down to $347 -- where they had been $360.

I've been told now at work that I could have a 4-day weekend -- Valentines's weekend.  We get that Monday off.  I'd like to go to Florida -- but seems like too much money for such a short time!  Besides I feel like I should stay home & get another door-knob paid for!!  Keep thinking -- what if we had only put down $6,000 & charged the drapes, carpet & new furniture!!

Hopefully by mid February my nursing duties will be to a minimum!!

Did I tell you that they are now in Phase III of building the patio homes -- now the models in our section have been sold.  They were all a horrible mess -- don't know why/or how anybody would want t hem.  Now new models are in Section II.

We're both been watching all the news about the ex-hostages!  We all wore yellow bows yesterday -- Marion has picked a good week to be home -- w/ lots of special TV programming.

I better get going -- by the way -- I'm fine -- tho very busy!

Love, 
Roberta
 




No comments:

Items from Uible photo album