Wednesday, April 01, 2020

1970 Catherine's Letter -Mar.4


March 4, 1970
Dear Mother Dad, Serena, John, and Mary,

Hi!  Greetings from the heart of a true tourist city -- Torremolinos, Spain.  We've been here two days now and are having a real vacation!  To clear up a few details which may or may not be foggy depending on what I have already written and whether you received it, I'm here with Alan and Ann.  We have a nice little apartment with bedroom, bath, living room, and fully equipped kitchen.  So we are able to eat food other than Butterbrot -- French toast for breakfast, ravioli for lunch and soup for supper, that is today's menu but it is nice to know we can cook almost anything our hearts desire. 

Alan and I are having a good time counting calories and carbohydrates and we've got a really neat plan for next quarter.  He has access to the computer so he's going to write a program up so that at the end of a day a person can give the computer the foods eaten during the day and it will compile a total of the calories proteins fats and carbohydrates.  That is the basic idea and then later we can add all sorts of additional goodies like vitamins minerals, metabolism, and even do some experimenting around with different diets. 

It is frustrating here though as we both need a library -- he needs the computer books and I need the nutrition books.  There is a lending library of English books here but they are all considerably lighter reading.  After scouring through the town's bookstores we did come up with one little diet book -- 50¢ variety -- which along with my rough estimates has to suffice for the moment.  I guess people on vacation aren't overly interested in nutrition or computer programming. 

And while I am thinking about libraries -- could you check on a few books for me please?  I have to know a lot more than I presently do about (1) fish( 2) stars (3) snakes.  Do we have any of the little books by Zim (?) around?  I do need something that has pictures I can refer to.  I haven't been doing too much hard reading here -- like I said the library has an abundance of sex-criminal-western types.  I have been reading the German newspapers so I won't forget all my German before I get back to Kalamazoo. 

We may go to Tangiers or we may just stay here the whole time as it so nice to be home where we can walk to the beach in 10-15 minutes.  The water is too chilly for me to swim in but it is nice laying in the sun.  We will probably go into Malaga some day soon to check for mail. 

I haven't thought much about London yet but I'm sure it will be fun when we get there.  I am looking forward to going to Stonehenge on the 20th.  Six of us are renting a car from London and going out for the night and to see the sun rise on the 21st before zipping back to London so Ann and I can get our flight to New York.  Hopefully, Dick will be meeting us there and coming back with us.  He is spending his vacation hitchhiking around England.  I envy him about as much as I miss him.  Traveling alone like that has its decided advantages and disadvantages. 

I did tell you that my previous relationship with Mike was terminated?  At least it is on this end.  Getting communications straightened up has been a definite problem and three days after I told him we had to definitely terminate it, instead of dragging it out even longer and hurting all involved parties even more, I got a letter from him saying we should let it all ride until April 13 when we will be seeing each other.  That was real news because I don't know how he is getting the time to come to K then.  Oh well, in my usual  enjoy life "this minute, this day" I will wait until that minute comes -- worrying now certainly won't solve the problem.  Alan has been giving me helpful unbiased advice from the male viewpoint.  At least it is as unattached as he can be, knowing Dick and not knowing Mike. 

Ann has gone to town and Alan is reading "TIME"-- every few minutes he reads me an excerpt and gets me distracted from this letter.  You all are probably having a good time following my line of thought.  I think I'll go back to the newspaper now.  Thanks for listening.

Love, 
Catherine

P.S. I sent two boxes of old clothes to you all.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album