Friday, April 03, 2020

1980 Roberta's letter -Mar.3,10,17,24 or 31

Monday Morning
Dear Family,

It's 6:15 A.M. so have time for at least a one pager.  Marion has just left for school.  She has started car pooling.  A man in the math department who lives right up extension near University.  When he drives she rides the bike back and forth to his house.  The freeway bridge has finally opened up so that makes the bridge situation much better.  Tho the train (called the Sardine Express) and other mass transportation deals have now come to a halt so guess the lines are still really bad.  Needless to say I'm glad to be working on this side of the waters.

Last night I left here to go to the evening service at the church.  But (and this is hard to believe) I was about 15 minutes early so I decided to go and visit Agnes and Fred instead.  It has been a few weeks since I had seen Agnes.  She is about the same.  Tho very mad at the home because they moved her to another room and then three days later wanted to move her again.  She told them no -- that she would be moved to another home before she moves to another room.  Fred has really failed -- he now is walking with a walker -- and not doing such a hot job.  He is in the day care program at the senior center -- where they have to pay $2.65 an hour.  It's a sliding rate type of deal.  We do not have that type of program in East Mesa.  Tho we have a people who need that type of program.

The program coordinator -- Ann -- who has been out to East Mesa more now that I'm the only staff person out there now -- says that I am the best fund raiser she has ever seen.  I really am proud of my new contact at this trailer park.  They raffled off a quilt and gave us $150 to spend on anything but rent and electric.  I told them that I'd like to buy some records and games -- also get our piano tuned.  Everyone that comes out to play it complains about how bad it is.  We were given a stereo -- excellent condition with AM/FM 8-track awhile back but no records with it.  Also this Travel Trailer Village has a group of both men and women willing to do lots of different types of work for our more needy.  I think I mentioned TV repair, but also fixing sewing machines, doing yard work, taking people in for the doctors, etc.  Most of our people really have it rough as far as getting places.  Mesa's Dial-a-Ride serves only as far East to 76th Street.  We serve people up to 115th Street.  I really am glad not to have a car out at the center on a regular basis -- the few times I've had the truck out there I'm constantly being asked to haul them here and there -- from the grocery to the flea market.

I really haven't minded driving the van the last few weeks.  Just that once back to the center it's been very hectic.  The van driver's job is a county job -- the county as part of the contract was willing to fund both the driver and the van through June.  The county says it will take 6 to 8 weeks to send someone else out.  Guess they have to go through the whole routine of advertising the job, etc. . . . Job has to be opened for so long . . . .  They couldn't advertise for it until Francis finally said she was quitting.

Delivering the lunch meals out there was really hard on me at first.  Twenty some stops -- running in with the meal, jumping up and down from the van -- reaching back to the back seat to get the bag of cold stuff -- milk, salad and dessert.  And then into another container to get the hot stuff -- my arms really got sore.  Now, I've gotten smart.  I've recruited three men who take turns going with me.  They do most of the running for me.  I do the reaching for the cold and hot stuff.  Sure has made a big difference.

Wish you all were here to see the back yard.  It's almost finished.  Even with the grounds being wet from all the rains it was still alot of work to do all that digging.  What gets me the most is that with all that grass -- Buffy seems to like the mud the best.  Then he rolls in that and then comes in here and tracks mud everywhere.  We did get a few railroad tie pieces -- they were outrageously priced.  Most of the trimming is done with red brick.  But they aren't real brick -- more like concrete blocks -- red in color -- and in the size of bricks.  I couldn't get over the price of bricks.  These artificial ones we got were only 19¢ each.  But we had to get 75 of them.  So many times the last few weeks I've wished we had a gate to the back yard -- all those bricks, plants, etc. had to be carried through the house.

Last night made some chocolate chip cookies -- but out of yellow cake mix.  They were really simple to make -- but they don't taste as good as the "real" kind.

Mary Virginia, you sure got your license fast -- made up for the long time I was in getting mine.  I forget how many permits I had before I got my license.  Which car do you like the best???  I hope you aren't mad at me for not saving the Buick for you to drive.  What all did you get for your birthday???  Is your band going to Wash C.C.???  The Mesa High band is -- guess they have chartered a plane -- and still need people to fill it up other than band people.  They are selling tickets for $300 each.  (round-trip)  The Stubbs showed us your cute card.

My page is almost over -- forgot to tell you all that I've been appointed to be on the Commission of Missions and Social Concerns at the Church.  Thanks for calling - - - -

Love, Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album