Wednesday, April 29, 2020

1980 Roberta's Letter -Apr.27



Sunday A.M.
[4/27?/80]
Dear Family,

Thanks for both the letter and the phone call yesterday.  We had been in and out all day so glad that you found us at home.  I'm almost done with my project for the class at ASU -- thanks to all the help I've had.  Went down to Mesa Parks and Recreation and got some of the master plans for parks in Mesa -- also some of the blueprints for pools -- which were a giant help in getting it all down on paper.  I was in shock over the price of poster paper now -- 65¢ per sheet.  I'm using two sheets -- one for the layout of the pool -- and details concerning it.  The second being for the layout of the whole park -- and then details concerning sizes of ball-fields, tennis courts, etc.  I'll be glad to have it in -- and hope for an A out of the class.

Planning on taking a course this summer called "readings and conference" -- that way I only have to attend the first class and do the rest on my own time.  I can pick the topic -- within reason.  I'll go through late registration -- June 2nd -- so that they don't have use of my money till then!!!

I completed the whole program at the health fair.  Did the first five or six tests on Saturday and went back on Sunday for the blood tests, etc.  Everything came out just fine -- except that the eye test showed that I need either reading glasses or bi-focals.  It has been some three years since I had my eyes tested last so really do need to get in to an eye doctor for an exams.  Also the dental part showed that I need "further evaluation."  But my lung capacity was excellent.  The health fair took place all over the valley last week.  A church out in East Mesa was one of the locations -- but had more people there than they could handle -- some 3,000.  Over 5,000 people took part in the one at the mall -- it was completely free except for the blood tests which were $6.00. 

I have been meaning to tell you all that Marion is planning on driving back in the truck this summer -- which is fine with me because I really don't need the truck here -- with my bike.  Also her bike will be here -- so I'll be fine.  Now the question is -- would you like me to rent a car for the whole time you are here -- with the idea of going to Mexico I hesitate to do that.  I can borrow a car from the Stubbs to come and pick you all up . . . at the airport.  Cars would be cheaper to rent here in Mesa than at the airport.  Another possibility is that we rent a car for the first week-end you are here (they advertise good "weekend" rates) then go to Mexico -- and play it be ear from there.  Marion does not know that you are flying out -- she thinks that you are driving out -- thus having a car here. 

Marion hopes to have her folks come back out here with her the end of August.  Guess go up to Idaho Falls first and visit with her sister and then here.  They could never make the trip by car -- and their only flying experience was a disaster.  Tho with this plan they would have to fly from here to Ill.  But in August/September the weather would be good -- as it was the weather that messed them up the last time they flew.

It has been one thing and then another with this house.  Now the whole back porch is torn up -- and hopefully will be redone tomorrow.  With all these people coming in next Saturday to eat.  We did go ahead and get sun screens -- for the two bedroom doors -- and the small window in the front.  Have got a screen door now for the front door -- but need to get it on.  Buffy better never ruin these sun screens or he is in real trouble.  They really do help with the amount of sun that comes in the house -- and should make a difference on the electric bill.  Its a shame that one has to get mean and nasty with the builder to get something done.

It has been in the talk stage for the last month -- but finally came through officially Friday.  I'm now the center coordinator (sp) for the East Mesa Center -- I'm still doing what I've been doing for the last two months -- just means that now I get to sign my name to all the many forms/paper work that goes through!!!  It does mean a decent salary raise -- which I'll be happy to have.  They had ordered me the enclosed cards some time back but just gave them to me yesterday -- Friday -- when I was told that it was now official.  Think I told you that Grayce was hired to work out there.  A 61-year-old -- who has a terrible temper -- always getting into it with or about one of the seniors.  She is really too close to their age -- We now have the funding for another - but only a four hour a day slot.  It comes from Title Five money -- so has to be over 55 years old.  Wish I knew someone that would be good -- Grayce has someone in mind -- but I'm not too excited about the idea of that.

Need to be going -- plan to go to 9:45 church . . . .

Love, Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album