Wednesday, April 08, 2020

1980 Catherine's Letter -Mar.24


Monday, March 24, 1980
Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary,

Hi!  It was nice talking to you Friday morning, Mother.  What time do you have to leave for your Bible study or whatever activity it is on Friday?

We had a real nice day Saturday.  It was sunny with the temperature around 60º.  Gerry played golf in the morning while I made about 16 dozen cookies and then went for a bike ride.  Then in the afternoon we both played golf.  I bettered my previous best score of 79 with a 78 so that made me feel good.  That is still about twice as many strokes as par but it shows improvement over my last spring's scores of 120's.  At least I have a good time and probably as I get better (hopefully I still have room for improvement) I will have an even better time.

As far as we know the closing on the house is still to be tomorrow.  We have to call the Title Co. today to confirm that it is all set up.  Then she is to vacate the house by April 10 and we will have to move between the 10th and 15th.  Gerry has to work that Saturday but perhaps we can either do most of the moving on Sunday or he can trade off with someone else in order to get that Saturday off.

Chambers hasn't found anyone else yet to become manager.  They have had two applications so far (the ad has been in the paper for two weeks) and they aren't happy with either one.  They offered us an additional $75/month if we would stay.  We said thanks but no thanks.  I am considering being their local representative though and keeping tabs on the new manager.

Nothing is new on the library board situation.  I talked to Barbara (the present librarian) on Friday and she said they haven't had a meeting since she first talked to me and I guess it is at the next meeting that she is going to propose my name.  That sure would be an in for me.

Meanwhile the position of "statistician" is open in the assessor's office.  I asked if they would consider me for the job and was informed that they had never had a woman in that job before.  They are looking for someone with real estate experience and someone who will get their appraiser's license or whatever so they can help the other appraisers when it gets busy.  Anyway, they are considering me while they continue to look for someone with the experience.  The thing in my favor is that they don't pay very much so most men are not interested in the job.  I figure about the only thing I can do in the mean time is to do the best I can with what I am doing now.  Not that I mind the job I have now but it would nicer to move up and to make more money.

Well, I have a few things I need to do yet to get Wendy ready to go to school as she calls it and to get off to work myself.  We have been walking on the days that she goes to "school".  It is about eight blocks and takes her about 15 minutes.  Then I have another three blocks to the Court House.  On the days she goes to the babysitters we have to drive or ride the bike as it is about 1½ miles.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry
& Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album