Thursday, April 02, 2020

1980 Catherine's Letter -Mar.5


Wednesday
March 5, 1980
Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary,

Hi!  The big news here is that I got a job in the County Assessor's Office.  I start tomorrow.  I had talked to the County Treasurer at church asking her if she knew of any jobs that might be open soon and evidently she mentioned me to the assessor who knows Gerry from the Elks so he talked to Gerry last Thursday night.  I filled out an application Monday and yesterday they called and told me I had the job.  Originally they had said it was just a part time job but yesterday when he called he said it would be full time which is what I wanted anyway.  The assessor's name is Cecil Zemke.  He is around 55.  And there are 3 other women and another man in the office.  The hours are 8:30 - 5.  I told him I already had plans to go to Portland next Thursday with Gerry when he goes to the Dr. so I would need the day off and he said no problem.  I think it will be an OK place to work.  I should be able to give you more details on that next week.

It does mean that we will be extra busy until we move with my working full time plus the apartments.  Gerry was going to call the realtor this morning and see if there was any chance we might be able to have the closing sooner as we are quite anxious to move and to have everything finalized so we don't have to worry about her changing her mind.  We are going to wait as long as possible to give notice here as we can't afford to be without any place to live.  I checked at the Court House to see if she had a mortgage on the property and if she does it was never registered as they didn't have any record of it.  Also the taxes are from July 1, 1979 to June 30, 1980 and were due on Nov. 15th.  We will be obligated then for the remainder of the year until June 30.

Wendy has pink eye.  I took her to the Dr. yesterday and he prescribed some drops.  She will be going to the babysitter Thurs. and Fri. of this week so she won't contaminate anyone else.  Then next week I think she will be going to the Day Care Center on Monday, Thurs. & Fri. and the babysitter on Tuesday & Wednesday.  At the Day Care Center the toddlers are divided into groups of about 5 and Wendy will be gong into the group that is working on potty training.  She has gotten more successful at home -- now around 50% -- but she still has a ways to go.  Day Care has a very high success rate partly because it is a group activity and they get the idea it is the thing to do.  To start out we will be paying $1.25/hour at the Day Care (babysitter is $1/hour) but they are supposed to get some sort of funding soon which would enable them to offer all day care for $9 which is the same as the babysitter.  I really like the program at the Day Care Center so I think is is worth it.  They have all kinds of activities, morning and afternoon snacks, a hot lunch (they have their own kitchen and cook) and they take a nap after lunch.  We went down there the other day and they showed us all around.  Wendy seemed interested in all the toys and all the other children. I don't think she will have trouble adjusting to it at all.  She has come a long way since last January when you were her first babysitter, Mother.

Gerry is doing fine.  We played golf again this past weekend.  It was a beautiful day Sunday with the temperature around 60º.  We hardly needed our sweaters.  We also went for a short hike with Wendy so she didn't have to feel left out of all of our activities.  She seems to enjoy going to the babysitters and playing with all the "nice toys" as she says so we don't feel too bad about leaving her.  This weekend Gerry has Saturday off so if the weather is nice we hope to do even more.  We are hoping to go to the coast some weekend in April with Bob & Emily and stay at the Jackman's place in Florence.  We are still working of the details for that.  We need to find out when we will be moving, when Gerry has to work, when the place is available, etc.

Gerry will be home for lunch soon and then this afternoon we are gong to Bend for his Dr. appointment at 3:30.  We will probably do some shopping and then eat dinner out somewhere to make a day of it.  I couldn't believe I got a job so fast so we'll have to celebrate that too.  I had heard of some people looking for months and months and not finding anything.  I think a big part of it was knowing the right people though.

We will be letting you know if we find out anything different on the closing date.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry
& Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album