Monday, October 09, 2017

1977 Catherine's Letter -Oct.6



October 6, 1977
Dear Mom, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  Well, thought I'd write a letter to send back with Grandma.  Wendy is sleeping in the bedroom right now so I hated to interrupt her to use the typewriter.  She slept straight through the night last night for the first time.  Although we are still having difficulties getting her to go to sleep in the evening.

Roberta and Grandma will be leaving later this afternoon.  Wendy and I were going to go as far as El Cajon with them but it has been raining today and is still rather misty so I think we will stay home rather than venture out into the weather.  There are enough nice days here that we don't need to go out on a bad day.

Roberta and I just went to Food Basket to see if the reprints we had ordered were ready yet but they weren't so Roberta will have to wait for the pictures she wants.  We don't think Wendy's baby picture does her justice so glad you have some other pictures besides.

It has been rather hectic here this week with Roberta and Grandma.  Roberta is always on the go of course.  I was able to get my nap this morning so that will help.  We have been watching the ball games this week but at least the evening games start here at 5:00 so we don't have to stay up late to see who wins.  We're hoping it will be Kansas City and Philadelphia for the World Series.

Yesterday Roberta, Wendy and I went out and picked up DeeDee and she had dinner with us and spent part of the evening.  That was a little easier than us going out there visiting.

I haven't been progressing very fast on that last jig-saw puzzle that we started before Wendy was born, Mother.  Maybe I have been averaging 4 or 5 pieces a day – at that rate I'll be lucky to have it done by Christmas.  I did put it on a sheet of newspaper so I can move it around and I can still get the typewriter on the table.

We took the sewing machine to the machine shop yesterday.  I called today and they said the repairman hadn't had a chance to look at it yet.  They also ordered me an instruction book.

I started doing some exercises earlier this week but I haven't been keeping them up – hopefully next week things will be a little calmer and I'll be able to stick to them.  The only exercise I couldn't do were sit-ups – but the magazine says to keep trying do do them everyday and soon enough the muscles will be firm enough to actually do them.

Wendy has her next Dr's appointment on Nov. 7 – I guess the Dr. will start her shots then.

Roberta does real well with Wendy as long as Wendy doesn't do anything unexpected – if she spits up or gets the hiccups or even burps Roberta gets all excited and starts yelling for me.  She has been trying to get Wendy to hold two fingers up to indicate that she is two weeks old.  I told her she might be wiser if she started working on getting her to hold one finger to indicate one year.

I have been stalling on finishing this letter so that the mailman would come and there might be a letter from you.  Monday he came about 11am but yesterday it was 2:30 and I guess it will be pretty close to that today.  Well, the mailman finally arrived (3:00) good thing since Roberta and G'ma were getting restless.  They will be leaving shortly.

We got the letter from you and the clippings – thank you.  Mother, I opened the letter from Mrs. Fisher (Tat Ballantyne Fisher) and called Mrs. Bruce and told her the news.  She said she was glad about Mrs. Neel and sorry about Mrs. Bossick.  Thanks for the news – we will have to look up that consumer magazine.

Write again soon!

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album