Saturday, October 07, 2017

1967 Catherine's letter -Oct.5


October 5, 1967
Dear Mother, Dad, Serena, John, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  Got Dad's letter last night and I am glad to see someone is still kicking besides John!  Hey Serena, did you forget how to write?

I could go into great detail about life here in Kalamazoo but that would take lots of paper, lots of time, and lots of energy and I don't have a surplus of any of those three.

The big event of my life yesterday was that I asked this guy who went to Westtown if he knew Jon or Brian Terrell and he said "Are you from New Vienna?"  It certainly was a shock to talk to someone who has actually heard of it!

I have to go to physics quiz group now so I will continue later.

October 6, 1967

Hi again!  I heard Dr. Petrovitch speak on the Russian Revolution.  He was really good.  It was held in the chapel, which was even fuller than when we were all there.  Some kids had to sit up in the choir section.  Next week Kerensky is going to speak.  He must really be ancient by now!

I do all my studying in the library (I practically live there ) except for what has to be typed.  You would think we had assigned seats or something because every time I go the same people are always there in the same place.

The food, so far, has been pretty good.  We generally have plenty of selection with at least two kinds of meat and a variety of salads and desserts.  I don't know what meal we miss because we haven't missed any yet!  Two nights a week we are supposed to have a served meal but I guess they figure it is too much work because it is always cafeteria.  We haven't had any steak yet.

Did I tell you that one of my floor counselors lived in Carbondale, Illinois until this past summer?  She and the guy who taught us calculus last summer went to school together.

I signed up for the tutoring  program but because of my erratic schedule it is almost impossible for me to tutor.  So, I am going to work in the tutoring office instead.  It is nice right now because I can more or less put in whatever hours I want.

Yesterday I got a letter (as did every other freshman) from the Republican club on campus.

After those first few rainy days the weather here has been quite nice.  I spent 70¢ on my laundry yesterday so I am keeping my clothes clean!

How is everything in New Vienna?  I better close now and get ready to go to breakfast.

Love, 
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album