Wednesday, October 25, 2017

1967 Roberta's Letter -Oct.21

October 21, 1977

Hi!  Was happy to talk to you all last night and to let you know I'm now working!  It's 1:00 pm now – I'm on my lunch – seems the day is gong fast.

I handle all attendance info – excuses brought in, over the phone, etc.  I'm to spot check by calling back some of the absences.  It's my job also to make up a daily bulletin in which all misses, excused & unexcused go in.  Any announcements, etc.  There is alot of different types of forms – as I catch on to things – they say I should also be handling schedule changes.  Today there must have been at least  50  excused absences – now before I go home I'll get sheets from each of the teachers saying who was out of each class – which I match up w/ my absences that I have – but of course, I'll have more from their lists.

The people I work w/ are all very nice and helpful – if they only knew my office experience is very limited!  I listed Wells Mfg – office, Hudson Guild Farm - office.

Better get back to the desk – only have 30 minutes lunch.

It's now 6:30 PM – glad today is over – next week should be much smoother but today wan't all that bad!

I got my holiday schedule today – and it's worse than I thought – you would never know I worked for the school when reading it – more like working at Wells!  A) January 1st  B) Second Monday in February (Lincoln's Day)  C) Third Monday in February (Washington's Day)  D) Last Monday in May (Memorial Day)  E) July 4  F) First Monday in September  G) Second Monday in October (Columbus Day) H) November 11 (Veterans Day)  I) Thanksgiving  J) Christmas Day.

Now – what do you think of those holidays – I sure don't have the advantages of teachers have of working for the schools.  I hope to go to SanDiego over Veteran's Day.  My typewriter at work is a nice new IBM electric.  I'll have to get use to it – that and typing itself.  I've got a feeling though, that I'll never be another Phyllis.

I've got a type of socialized medicine insurance with the county.  I pay nothing for it, but if I had dependents then it would be something like $60 for each of them.  If I go to the Doctor's I pay $2 each visit, also $2 for any prescriptions.  I can get a pair of glasses for $5 which I plan to get.  Also dental care is included.  If I go to the hospital I pay $5 entrance fee then the county takes over.  It's called Blue Cross HMO – there is a  center and HMO hospital here in Mesa.  Also the county takes 7% of my gross income out of every pay period for retirement, which they will match should I stay so long.  Either that or I just get out what I put in, if I don't stay long.

It's late and I'm making lots of mistakes (more than usual) Marion wants to wall-paper tomorrow.  I need to get some stuff done this week-end since I'm not free anymore during the week to get stuff done.

Thanks Dad, for sending the checks.  I had no trouble cashing them.  I opened up my account on Friday.  It's called United Bank of Arizona.  They have what they call "ugly tellers" – where I can get money out at anytime through their machine.  If I have more than $1,000 then you get free checking, but first I need to be able to have the $1,000 in there.

When are you planning on being in Arizona over the Christmas Holidays?????  My Christmas holidays are not so great, but by then I'll ask for more time off.

Write when you can, always happy to hear from all of you.

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album