Saturday, October 28, 2017

1967 Roberta's letter to Catherine -Oct.26


Monday
[10/26/67 ??]
Dear Catherine,

I hope this gets to Kalamazoo before you do, but I have my doubts!  Well, anyway I had good intentions.  It's just that they didn't get carried out.

The clothes you got at Washington C.H. really sound neat.  I wish I could see the brown one – it sure sounds pretty.  What kind of material is it?  Hope I have half the luck getting some new clothes in the future.

I now weigh 150 – which means I have lost 22 pounds altogether.  I bought 3 dozen bouillon  cubes at Binns and have been having a steady diet of them yesterday.  They only cost 21¢ for 1 dozen so I'm not too much in the hole. 

I wrote you a letter Saturday but I couldn't find your address at college and now that I have your address, I can't find the letter.

Our room has the reputation of being on the noisy side.  Last night Teacher Jody came in and there were about  13  people in our room.  This was after lights out and you are suppose to be in your own room.  Well she sent everyone back to the right room supposedly but she sent me to room #10.  Then they wouldn't let me out of there for a long time.  She got everybody mixed up and sent everybody the wrong place.  Then they wouldn't let us go to our own room.  Finally about 12:30 this morning it got straightened out and we got to go to our own room.

Teacher Susan asked Gretchen (my roommate ) and I if we moved furniture after lights out.  We said "No!" and she said it sure sounded like it.

I got these new glasses Saturday.  Well, no I didn't get them but I ordered them.  They are on the unusual side I must admit.  The eye-doctor said he had never sold a pair of them before.  I asked him how long he had carried them and he said two years.  Also ordered another pair but they are a little more on the usual side.  I thought I should have one pair to conform to society with.  (as if I'll ever need them here or in N.V.)

How is your room-mate Gina?  Does she talk in her sleep?  Snore?  Can you wear her clothes?  Does she talk on and on?  Does she help clean the room?  Or leave her junk all over the place?  Please write and tell me about her!  Is she a Quaker? An Atheist? Does she take pills all the time? Or have athlete's foot?  Is she a social butterfly? Or study like crazy?  Is her hair bleached?  Oh well, anyway write and tell me about her.

We have a "hippie" here at Barnesville!  He wears a leather jacket constantly except when Teacher Tom made him take it off for "meeting."  He is very funny and really very nice.  He goes with Sylvia Thomas (former roommate) and they make a very good pair.  And guess where he is from?  This side of Cinn!  We decided he must live about 30 miles from me or so.  All the new students talk about how long his hair was when he first came.  Teacher Tom made him get it cut before he even walked in the dorm.  It is still pretty long.  His favorite topic is the "hippies in the Bible,"  He is quite a character! 

You asked me about the letter that went to Goodings by mistake.  Well, it's a long, long, long story and since I don't want to write a book I better just say that the letter that went to the Goodings should not have gone to them but to someone else.  And the letters that should have gone to the Goodings went to the wrong place also.

I hope this satisfies your curiousity for a while.  I promise to tell you when I see you but I find it hard to try to explain on paper.

I would appreciate it if you keep it a secret.  What can I do for you now?  Besides anything having to do with money or good advice?  Got to go.  I'm very tired of writing.  I had to write a short story for English today and it was 15 pages long.  Then I had to recopy my History Report which was another 6 pages.  ICK!

Love, 
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album