Tuesday, October 24, 2017

1977 Roberta's letter to John -Oct.19

Oct. 19, 1977
Dear John,

Sure was good to hear from you – I was afraid something had happened to my brother – with all the political activities you are in.  Please . . . just be careful for those kickbacks.

I'm glad you have had the scratch taken out of the Granada.  Is it running good?  If you think it needs a tune-up, get it (at your expense ( ha, ha)  WE should keep the car in good shape.  I'm seriously thinking about trying to get by without a car.  Maybe buy a mopped [sic] – try to make some money as I drive around town, managing to get my tire under people's bumper.  (especially expensive cars with inexperienced drivers)  I've got to get my mind to thinking on this.  The Buick is a good car; but surely it has to go sometime; and I would just as soon not have it go on me.  Marion says she wants to buy it if I sell it.  Have you heard that she is selling her car . . . guess she got tired of people at school putting little dents, etc. on it.  Since I have been here I have been driving her car; and she has been driving the Buick, which I don't mind at all.

Have you heard from anyone at the farm – I've had a letter from Curtis, also Liz, a nice letter from the Thompsons.  Since we aren't going back; and you still want to if you do – if I were you I would be busy trying to recruit new squares to go back.  It's a neat place; and I'll miss it alot but I won't be going back to work.  To visit yes, but to work – no.

Will you be coming out for Christmas?  I sure hope so.  With my job I won't have much time off; but I can at least get to San Diego for the weekend of Christmas.

How do things look in New Vienna?  Do you see any changes?  Is this the first time you have been home??  What do you hear form Carol?  Does she seem to like school?  Please give her my regards when you write her.

I was cleaning Marion's coffee table off the other day, underneath, and lo and behold there was a letter there from John B. Uible; she said she wanted to keep it – not just because some day that you would be an honored and respectable leader on politics but she kept all her letters from good friends.  She had left there so she could write you back.  Of course that was from last fall.

Does Nicki still have his granada?

Drop me a line when you can . . . . Again, please be careful for those kickbacks.  I like my job alot; it makes me want to be super efficient; so I can maybe get a better job with the schools – one that will allow me to have vacations like the rest of the staff.

Love, 
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album