Friday, October 20, 2017

1977 Roberta's letter -Oct.18

October 18, 1977
Dear Family,

I'm still in the midst of getting a job, nothing definite really to report but I will try to catch you up on what I have been doing.  I've now successfully passed the written and typing test for a civil service job, which qualifies me for three jobs here in Mesa.  Two are with the school system and the other one is with the center for retardation.  Yesterday I had an interview with one of the principals in the one school, and today I have an interview with the other one.  These jobs are CETA jobs, I qualify because I have been out of work for more than 30 days and because I lived below poverty level the last three months according to the U.S. standards.

I would be hired on a temporary basis on these jobs, because the job is just there as long as the federal funding lasts, which they say is until Sept. 30, 1978.  The people I have talked to say that there would be no problem getting a permanent job, after that.

The other place that I have heard from is Litton Industries.  I am to go out there tomorrow for the final interview.  They also pay well, and have good benefits.  The factory is not far from here, it is in Tempe - maybe seven miles away.

Marion has been away for the week-end, getting back last night.  She was in Idaho Falls, visiting her sister's two children and also her parents who are up there staying until her sister gets back from Europe -- her and her husband have been there almost a month.

I got your letter Mary Virginia and I will call collect when I find something out definite.  Marion really liked your mushroom stationary.  She has all sorts of mushrooms all over her house, candles, picture, etc.

What are your plans for Christmas?  No matter where I work, I'm sure I could manage to get to San Diego for the week-end, maybe longer.  Of course though you should plan to also stop here either coming or going.  As for the Granada, I want John to keep it for now.  I know he is taking good care of it, and the Buick is fine for me.  During the day sometimes I wish it had air conditioning but at night, it is quite nice to have the windows down. 

I had a letter yesterday from Cathy.  She included two pictures of Wendy, herself, and Wendy's Grandma.  My niece has definitely got class.

I went bowling Saturday night with the Mandes, the family that lives just across from Marion.  It was a fun evening as the two boys, ages 10 and 13 have never bowled before.  Renee had not bowled for about ten years so I was right in there with people of my ability.  The scoring was all done by computer.  All you do is write your name down, then bowl.  Everything as far as scoring is done by computer.  Mary Virginia, when you come out, we will have to go bowling.

I'll sure be glad when I'm able to go to work, instead of these crazy interviews.  This one this morning is at the vocational school, the job would be about half typing and half many other things.  The interview is for 9:00, just an hour away.  I was told yesterday that i should know by this Friday or next Monday.  The waiting is the hard part. 

Grandma, thanks for your letter.  Too bad that Jo-Ann wasn't able to work for you so much when you first got home, how is it working out now?  I'm glad you kept tract of the mileage and gas money.  THANK YOU very much for the trip, I enjoyed it very much.  Everything but the snow in Yellowstone.

I better be getting ready, at least today I don't have to drive to Phoenix (as I did yesterday to take the typing test).  Oh, this is a rented typewriter, which is another story in itself.  Details on it in the next letter

Love,
Berta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album