Sunday, December 01, 2019

1979 Catherine's Letter -Oct.9

Tuesday, October 9, 1979

Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary Virginia,

Hi!  Things have been very busy around here so please accept my apologies for not getting a letter off to you last week.  The first of the month tends to be our busiest time and then last week we had the addition of several other things to keep us even busier.  First there was our problem with the tenants that we were trying to evict, three apartments turned over, and the landscaping also takes alot more care than the dirt did.  We spent last Saturday mowing the lawn for the first time.  We have 40,000 square feet of grass - how does that compare with your back yard?  Only a few more weeks of mowing though probably and then we will be trading the lawn mower for a snow shovel.

Speaking of snow it got real cold here last night and then this morning I tried to get Wendy to put on her winter coat so she could play outside and she about had a fit.  She didn't want anything to do with it.  Her last year's coat fits her OK so we thought maybe we'd put off buying her a new one until we can get one on sale maybe after Christmas that would fit her next year.  We will have to get her some new boots though.  I imagine she will be spending more time playing outside this winter than she did last year.

The outfit you sent her for her birthday fits her better than most of the clothes we have bought her for this winter.  I have it laid out for her to wear tomorrow as she will be going to the babysitter in the morning while I go bowling and then we are going to go out for lunch.

My scrap paper pile was piling up so I thought I would conserve on my stationery by using this. [Other side is a cancelled security deposit agreement.]  DeeDee and I had ordered a bunch of things from "Current" but I didn't order any stationery - just birthday cards and some of those postcard type Christmas Cards - they were 24 for 75¢ which seemed like a bargain.  DeeDee ordered about 5 different types of stationery and she writes about two letters a year.  Maybe she is planning on giving it as gifts.  That reminds me her new address is . . . .

My golf lessons are going pretty well.  Today was the second one.  I haven't improved much yet (we played nine holes last weekend) but maybe if I learn enough and practice enough it will help.  Can't hurt anything that is for sure.  My bowling is going real well.  The first week I had an average of 71 and now after four weeks it is up to 89.

Well, it is almost time for Gerry to come home from bowling and I still have a few chores I should take care of this evening since I won't have much time in the morning.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy 

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album