Monday, December 09, 2019

1979 Roberta's Letter -Oct.21

Sunday 10:00 A.M.
[10-21-79]
Dear Family,

Seems like this has sure been an exciting week.  I mentioned in last weeks letter all the excitement about the coach being fired at ASU -- he was fired over a lawsuit where some player last year is accusing him of hitting him in the face . . . hasn't even gotten to court yet, but the head of Athletics at school fired him.  So this week there has been all kinds of press conferences, and about 10 people have had their lives threatened people like the president of the college, the guy that did the firing, the other coaches -- all who are taking sides as to who is right.  So there has been alot of security on campus -- alot of protestors, etc.

Did you all go to Chicago this weekend?  Bet it was cold there.  Here it is just in the high 80's today . . . . the coolest weather so far this fall.  Last night we went with Dorothy and Cris Stubbs to see a play in the Mesa Theater YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU.  Was quite good and very funny.  Only charged $2.00 which sure beats the prices that they are charging at Grady Gammage this year.  Cheapest seats there are $12.00 . . .

What is Serena doing now in Chicago  Does she seem to like the city???  Is her apartment in a large apartment type complex or what??

Your weekly letter came on Thursday, which seems like really good service compared to other letters in getting here.  Also got a letter from Catherine the same day.  Seems like she sure keeps busy.  Poor Gerry with his back.  Wayne Wiget sure looked over-healthy (well-fed) in the picture of the Wigets.  There was no mention in the article about David . . . have you all heard anything about him . . . wonder if he did have the operation.

Yesterday morning I spent the morning at school at a conference that the Council of Aging put on.  I talked to several people, including one man who told me he lived in Florida for 42 years.  I asked him where.  And he said that his wife would have told me near Palm Beach, but he always said near West Palm Beach.  I then asked him exactly where . . . and he had lived in Lake Worth.  He knew Mr. Garnett.  I went to a workshop on developing oral histories.  Was very well done.  The deal was both on Friday and Saturday morning.  I went to both parts.  Everything but the $10 supper on Friday.  Met lots of people.  Getting my name and face around as to making connections.  I even gave up my can route on Friday so I could attend all the afternoon programs.  I had classes till 1:00 and the program was to start at 1:00 on the other side of the campus, so I had asked the prof. the class before that I would like to leave early, so I could get there on time.

I had alot of excitement myself on Wednesday.  I'm not sure if I told you but about a month ago I had a bee sting, which caused some swelling . . . it was on my finger.  It bothered me for a few days, but nothing all that bad.  Well, on Wednesday I got another, this time on my arm . . . near the elbow.  I was at school and had just started on my walk gathering cans.  It was about 3:00.  To make a long story short, it swelled all up, like about twice the size of my arm.  (it doubled in size) I felt pretty sick, and found my way to the health clinic.  They took me right in, and got me in to see one of the doctors.  Which they say usually takes hours.  He gave me a shot, some pills to take.  While I was there I mentioned to the Doctor about the corn on my foot.  And he removed it.  Really would not have hurt at all except toward the end I moved my foot and he hit some live skin, instead of just the dead skin on the corn.  I'm glad to have the corn removed.  But, I'm still not sure what possessed me to mention it to the Doctor.

Anyway, the Doctor stressed how each bee sting would be worse.  How I needed to get a bee-sting kit, and be able to give myself a shot, should I get another bee-sting.  The pharmacy at the school (where each prescription is only $1 !!!) did not have the kits.  I've tried several places, and finally had a drug store near here order me two kits, and they will be in on Monday.  This shot the Doctor gave me put me right out.  I slept at the clinic for about an hour.  Then came home, went to bed, and slept till the next morning.  And all day on Thursday I slept off and on.  My arm now looks almost normal.

Needless to say . . . between Wednesday's excitement and not doing my usual on Friday can money was down yesterday when we took the cans.  Only $13.40 . . . usually on Saturday it's just over $18.  We are still taking them twice a week.  Saturday is usually the bigger day than Tuesday.  On Wednesday when I went to the health clinic, I took the cans to my bike first.

I'm just glad that the bee sting didn't happen this week when I have lots going.  On Wednesday and Friday I have a test (given in the two days) for one class, and then on next Monday and next Wednesday I have a test for another class.  Can't understand these teachers waiting so long that a test can't be given all in one day.  Both tests will be the first given in both classes.  Tho did have a small quiz type in the one class, which I got a B on.  In both of these classes there will just be these two exams, and then the final one.  Intend to do really good on both of these coming up.

Marion is going to Denver this Wednesday through Sunday.  She has been busy making up pine-cone wreaths . . . has 8 made up now.  She and I.T. plan to sell them in a rich parish sale this coming Friday.  Oh, I.T. has finished floral school (was four weeks long) and is now working for a florist in Denver.  Guess she really likes it.

We went over to the new mall on Friday night, to eat and just look around.  There is an area called the pantry.  It consists of about 10 eating places -- all the kind you stand in line, and then all share a common eating area.  Marion had a quarter pound hot dog.  I got in a line at a place called Tater Junction . . . where you get a whole baked potato, and some kind of sauce.  It took more than 20 minutes.  I should have gotten out of the line in the very beginning.  Seems like they could only come up with 8 hot potatoes a time . . . out of two giant ovens.  Conventional . . . not microwave.  I had mushroom and cream one.  Think next time I'd try something else.  Was mostly just sour cream, and very few mushrooms.

My I see now just how crooked I have this paper in.  Think that I'll do some studying and then come back and finish this letter . . . .

Mary Virginia, thanks for your recent letter.  We were both pleasantly surprised to hear from you.  Sounds like you have really been busy.  Anytime you would like to tape any of your music feel free to do so and then send this way.  I could learn to sing along with you, and then when you come out we could be doing some duets.  Oh, I might be taking a music therapy class next semester.  I've been told that I should either take the music or dance therapy class, that either would be good in working w/ elderly.  Both are suppose to be up and coming fields.  Perhaps Mary Virginia would be especially interested in the music therapy field.

Last night for the play I wore my orange pants suit . . . the one that I wore for the wedding.  Everyone liked it of course.  Did I tell you that I did have the blue one done up so now it fits quite properly.  Cost $8 -- so still a very reasonable priced outfit.  Just now beginning to be cool enough to wear jackets and the like.

Yesterday afternoon I took out the one ear-ring that I still had -- matches the one that I lost.  I'm having a jeweler make a stick pin out of it.  Should be quite nice, just the right size for such a thing.  Oh, I only had the pants fixed, not the suit jacket . . . on the blue suit.

When are the Hortons coming?  Wish they could stop here on their way to New Vienna, but realize that it is out of the way.

I am enclosing some info which you all might find interesting.  I just can't type too fast !!!  Of course, I came home yesterday with a full pack.  I took my yellow back-pack and several older people asked me where I got it.  They they really liked it . . . for their grand-children.  I told them that my Grandma got me it.  But I had seen them in bright colors at . . . here in the alley.

I have made an appointment at a dentist near the school that is suppose to be very good, plus offers a student discount of 20%.  Appointment is not until the 1st day of November.  After all my tests are over . . . which works out fine.

Better get going.  Hope you all are not too cold.  I have started wearing long jeans and sweatshirt jacket everyday.  Jacket only in the morning.

Love,
 Berta 

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album