Tuesday, December 10, 2019

1969 Catherine's Letter -Oct.21

Berlin
21 October 1969
Dear Mother and Daddy,

Hi!  I was really glad to get your letter yesterday although it makes me regret I'm not coming down to see you.  Good luck getting around with your knowledge of Spanish.  If you see Cal Johnson running around in Madrid tell him hello for me!

It was nice of Greg to send you all a post card.  It doesn't do much for my ego though as I haven't heard from him.

We've seen alot of Berlin.  We got a four hour guided tour by bus which showed alot of the major points but it's about equal to seeing a movie as far as really absorbing anything.  But since then I've spent a little more time places.  The zoo has been my favorite, although I went to an art museum.  The art museum was quite disappointing as we went as a group and Dr. Spaltmann, who knows a fantastic lot about art, went with us.  There were just too many of us though.

Today I saw all the tourist attractions in East Berlin.  About the most interesting part was going through the checkpoint.

22 October
Good morning!  Here's another day beginning in Berlin as I suppose it is elsewhere.  It gets quite cold here at night although so far it's been warm around noon.  We're so far North that the sun is never directly overhead.  And it gets pretty low around 3:00 in the afternoon.

Tomorrow night I'm going with a bunch of other kids to see the Bolschoi Ballett Moskaw.  They are performing Tschaikowsky's "der Nußknacker" (Hope you are capable of translating that.)

This place we are staying is like a palace.  It was the home of Mendelsohn's brother who must have had quite a fortune.  There are about 7 floors and 4 different wings.  A chapel, ball room, now there is a restaurant and dining rooms on every floor.  We have all our dishes on this floor and then two people get a cart of food from the kitchen and bring it up on the elevator.  There are also showers with real hot water!

I'm eating my fill of fresh fruit this week and skipping butter as much as possible so I'll have to readjust when I get back to Münster.  I'll be glad to get back.  I hope I haven't forgotten too much German this week.  I guess I have been asking directions and such in German.  We met 3 Canadian girls yesterday who understood no German at all.  They were having a little difficulty getting around.

Later
This morning I went to the aquarium.  It's supposed to be one of the best in the world  All the fish were on the entry floor, reptiles, crocodiles, alligators, etc. on the 1st floor and then the insects on the next floor.  I liked the croc & alligators the best.

Then this afternoon a couple of us went to Dahlem Museum which had all sorts of old religious paintings and sculptures.  I liked the wood carvings.

Mother, have you gotten Serena a book bag yet?  There are some really nice ones here.

We're going out on the town tonight so I better get ready.  Write soon!

Love, 
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album