Sunday, December 22, 2019

1969 Catherine's Letter -Nov.2

2 November, 1969
Münster

Dear Mother, Daddy, Roberta (by the way what is Roberta's address?), Serena, John, Mary and Grandma,

Hi!  It was really nice talking to you the other night although after going through all the operators I was still aware of how far apart we were.

That was some night.  I had gone to see some "Underground American" films at the university.  On my way home there was one of those quick heavy showers and to keep the rain out of my eyes I was looking down and peddling madly down the road.  I remember glancing up and about 10 feet in front of me was a parked car.  I didn't even have time to reach the brake I just smashed right into the car.  It was a really clever thing to do!  The handlebars got the worst end of the deal and they now function with a little difficulty.  I have a black and blue chin and also two sore ribs but I'm glad the front tire cushioned the blow.  What hurt the most was that just the day before I'd paid 5 marks for having my coat cleaned and it was covered with mud.  Believe me, I didn't send it back to the cleaners (especially since they cut all 10 buttons off and only sent me back 8), It got soaked in the tub.  I also shortened my coat (both sides) three inches and I cut about 4 inches off my gray skirt.  Tomorrow I'm going to make myself shorten the brown skirt.  What a pain, I hate to sew!

I think winter has come.  The whole last week it was very cold and damp and it is completely dark by 5:00.

I finally got my library card.  I was charged a mark when I checked the books out but I'm not sure if it was because it was the first time, or if it is a deposit.

At the university there is an international student center which also has a library but I have never been there when it is open.

I finally got a postcard from Greg so at least I'm equal with you all now.  I got a letter also from David all about France so I sent it on to Joe so he could read about someone else's first impressions of France.  I got a letter from Carole Kersten who has been in Japan since June. She comes back next month.

One of the guys in our group brought a jack-o-lantern to school on Friday but that was about the only sign of Halloween I saw.  Yesterday was All Saints Day, and everybody took flowers to the cemetery like on Memorial Day.

Last nigh I went to a party which was about ¾ Germans.  I can't say as I've been overly thrilled by ay parties I've been to yet.  Americans usually drink and talk but Germans tend to just drink.  Then the Americans get bored (unless it's possible to dance) and they end up playing cards or going to a bar where they can dance.  I have a feeling I'm going to get lots of books read while I'm here.

It's almost lunch time so I'll sign off.

Love,
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album