Friday, December 27, 2019

1969 Catherine's Letter -Nov.8


8 November [1969]
Münster
Dear Mother, Daddy, Roberta, Serena, John, Mary & Grandma,

Hi!  I was glad to get your letter this morning.  Pretty fast service as I noticed it was mailed on Nov. 5.  I'm glad you made it home OK.  I appreciated getting all the post cards.

Right now I'm sitting at the kitchen table as there is some kind of repairman upstairs messing with the heat.  Right now we have an oil stove in our room and also one in the living room.  I think maybe they are changing the heating system, I don't exactly understand.

The egg man was just here.  He comes with a wire-dealie in which are the cardboard containers for eggs like Roberta used to get.  Mütti got 20 "kaput" (cracked, actually they look like someone punched holes in them) and 15 good ones.

The weather has gotten very cold -- there was ice on the bridge yesterday and it still very damp.  I'm suffering from a slight "non-cold."

The other day I went to "The Brücke" which is the international student center at the university.  It mainly consists of a large room (about the size of our basement) and the walls are just covered with books, mostly in English.  There are also lots of chairs and tables scattered around, coke and beer vending machines, a large coffee urn and lots of people from everywhere imaginable.  Ther was a guy on the floor painting a big banner which had something to do with Franco.  The librarian is British and I could understand her German as well as her English.  (That's not saying much for my abilities in German either.)

Yesterday after school I met Mütti downtown for lunch as everyone else had gone away.  We just got a bratwurst and potatoes and ate in a standup place in the basement of Hortens which is one of the largest department stores here in Münster.  And now, Mother, you better sit down while I tell you what I bought:  a blue pull-over mostly to wear with my suit but it also goes with the entire rest of my wardrobe, a pair of blue, heavy panty socks, a knitted blue hat which has long tie things which look like braids.  Mütti got me a blue dealie to hold my hair back, too.  I haven't been doing too badly for clothes -- everything I have with the exception of my dress has now been shortened, Mütti has given me some sweaters that don't fit her, plus the black dress and I inherited a pair of hip-hugging pants from Klause who didn't have enough hips to hold them up.

Mütti did some shopping too, then we got some Küchen in a Bächerei and and came home and ate it for coffee, rather with the coffee.

Tomorrow I'm going to Essen with Vati and Mütti.  I'll have to write you about it as all I understand now is that it has something to do with Germania Beer (Vati's company), it's important for me to look nice, and we're going to do alot of "laufen" which literally means to run or flow like water.  Ann has gone to Amsterdam for the weekend so she's missing all the excitement!

Write soon!

Love, 
Catherine

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album