Saturday, December 07, 2019

1979 Catherine's Letter -Oct.16

Tuesday, October 16, 1979

Dear Mom, Dad and Mary,

Hi!  Things have calmed down somewhat for us so it look like I'll be able to get a letter off to you this week.  I did have one move out yesterday but one at a time isn't hard to handle.  It has also been a little colder and cloudy out this week so there isn't as much to be done outdoors.

I had my third (of five) golf lessons this afternoon.  How much of what I am learning I will be able to retain over the winter is the question.  I'm sure it can't hurt me though and I have learned a few things I ought to be able to remember.  Hope the weather stays decent for the next few weeks so we'll be able to finish the lessons and perhaps Gerry and I can plan some on the weekend.

Tomorrow morning is my bowling league.  Our team name is the "Low Scorers" so you can see how well we are doing.  Last week we were beat three straight games by the last place team - we were 3rd from the bottom but that probably put us on the bottom.  I'm doing OK though.  I have raised my average every week - starting out at 71 and now I'm up to 92.  Every week it is a little harder to raise it though since the average is based on all the games played this year.  I'd like to get it over a 100 though.  Last week I had a 95, 109, and 114.  Gerry isn't doing nearly as well with his bowling as he used to bowl but it is because he has so much pain it is all he can do to bend over to throw the ball.  One more week and then he'll find out what the Dr. has to say - although I don't think he can say too much until Gerry has the milogram.

Wendy has been doing better going to the babysitters.  She still screams and carries on when I leave but she settles down better afterwards.  Tomorrow morning she is going to a new one - the grandmother of one of her friends.  The grandmother babysits her granddaughter four days a week and is thinking of adding to her clientele.  It will be a strange house for Wendy but there will be someone there that she knows anyway.  Then in the afternoon I am getting a new permanent and Wendy is going to stay with Susie Coe as I babysat Gabe while Susie got a permanent last month.

We went to the Elks last Saturday night as they had a shrimp and crab dinner.  That sure was good.  They had a dance afterwards but we didn't stay too long as Gerry was kind of tired after working all day.  We're going to go again this Saturday night as they are having an Octoberfest and the German wife of one of the members is cooking up a good German meal.  We've heard she does a good job so we are looking forward to it.  Our Saturday night babysitter is a 14-year-old who brings her 12-year-old sister with her.  They seem to do real well together so we figure we're getting two for the price of one.

We are anxious to see who wins the World Series tomorrow although we are both rooting for Pittsburgh.  Some of these games have last so long we are thankful we see them three hours sooner here so we don't have to stay up all night to watch.

Well, Hope you had a good trip to and from Chicago.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album