Sunday, June 27, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letters -June 27

 


June 27, 1971
[Sunday]

Dear Family,

Hi!  Was sure glad to get your letter.  Got it Friday when we got into Merritt.  Friday every thing went fine.  We got to Merritt about 6:00 p.m. and ate supper there.  Then about 8:00 or 8:30 pm we went to Douglas Lake where Ron & Emily Higginbottom live.  We stayed all night there Friday night.  They live in Douglas Lake but have to go clear into Merritt to get their mail.  Ron will be our "mailman".  It's really something to think that these towns (?) have to go into Merritt for the mail.

Ron & Emily have a phone.  It's the type of deal where it costs 30¢ to call your next door neighbor.  Most people up here don't have phones.  Also you've got to "crank" their phone -- I'm not quite sure how but is is very interesting looking.

We got to Quilchena about noon yesterday.  Wow -- you would not have believed the mess the school house was in.  It has not been used as a school house for -- I think -- 2 years.  Anyway there were books thrown everywhere, cans of all kinds here & there.  It was just one big mess.  But after a couple of hours it looked alot better.  There are all kinds of shelves which we put the books on, etc.  Also we were able to get electricity on, water on (cold only) & one toilet to work.  All of that I'm very thankful for.  Ron went & got this man to help us with all of that kind of stuff.

So we do have electricity but no heat.  Really it's not too bad so far.  (without the heat)

As soon as we got here yesterday children started coming over.  It was pretty neat because I put them to work every chance I had & they seemed to enjoy it & they also got alot done.

We got all of our food & supplies out & put on the shelves.  Everything got here in pretty good shape.  I wish you all could have seen the children's faces when they saw the sports equipment we were given for the summer.  Like 2 frisbees, ball & bat, & volley ball.

We went to see 2 families yesterday.  Both Indian & very nice.  The children are especially friendly.  Every child I have met so far has had a runny nose.  Both families were large -- one had 9 children and the other had 10 children.

Then last night we went to a ball game.  We all played.  It was pretty funny.  We are to have a practice this coming Tuesday.

We got home from the game about 10:00 p.m. -- as soon as we did about 10 children came over.  We had not eaten supper yet & didn't have time after the game either.  About 10:45 p.m. we heard a knock so I went outside & there was a woman there -- drunk.  She wanted us to "bless her".  Strong Catholic influence here.  We had to carry her back over to her house when she went home later.  It was really a full day yesterday!

We got a small 2 burner 'dealie' to cook with -- Electric -- because we have electricity.  Yesterday about 1:30 p.m. we had apple-sauce, and wieners & beans.  We don't have a refrigerator.  We were given two dozen eggs in Merritt & we are suppose to get 2 dozen eggs every two weeks.  So, that is pretty good.

The school house is pretty nice.  One fairly large room & then a small room in the back & plenty of shelves.  We are sleeping in the small room so we can have the large room for activities.

As planned now our Bible School will start a week from Monday July 5th -- I think.  Hey -- you know -- I won't be celebrating July 4th this year -- not in Canada!  July 1st is called Dominion Day & in Merritt there will be parades, etc.  We hope to go in for that.

Well, I'll close for now.  I'm not quite sure when this will go out -- Tell everyone hello for me.  Thanks alot for the letter & the money.  I can believe it about the lay-off in Dayton.  Wow -- how pitiful!!

The country out here is really beautiful.  But oh the mosquitoes!!

Write -- Hope you all are fine.  Glad the telephone call was only priced for 3 minutes.

Love in Christ,
Bert

P.S. -- Now Sunday night -- 11:00 p.m.  Today has been a busy day.  Children have been here all day.  Also we went visiting one family that lives near-by.  She was very nice -- name of the mother was Marianne.  She told me I could use clothes washer, oven, stove, etc. when I wanted to.

We went swimming in the lake.  I washed my hair in the process.  All we have here is a sink.

Also -- we had another ball game -- By Sept I'll be ready to join the Wells Wonders.

And get this -- tomorrow I'm to go horse back riding at 3:00 p.m.  Exciting, huh, & also kind of scary!!

Hey -- I found out that Quilchena does have a post office.  It's in the general store.  The address is Quilchena Indian Reserve (NOT Reservation), General Delivery, British Columbia, Canada. 

The General Store is about 4 miles away but I'm sure we can work something out.  Well -- I've got to go.  

Please say hello to Grandma & let her read this letter.  Maybe if you want to send to Hortons.  I'll write them soon -- I hope.  But -----

Love, Bert

*  *  *  *  *

June 27, 1971

Dear Uncle Bill, Aunt Mary & Rob,

Hi!!  How are you all!!??  Right now Dixie (Lyn's nickname) is typing a letter to a friend of hers.  It's really bad -- or should I say HARD on me to be quiet!!  I just got done finishing a letter to the family.  I told them they could send it down but I thought I'd try & write a 'note' myself.  I don't like to or should I say I'd rather get a letter addressed to myself.

We got here -- in Quilchena about noon on Saturday.  We have REALLY been busy.  As soon as we got here people started coming over -- especially children.  Then last night we went to a soft-ball game.  I played -- if you can imagine that!!  Then after the game more people came over.  I really wonder when these people sleep. they were over till late last night and also again early this morning.

Today we went swimming -- very cold but after a while you seem to adjust.  I washed my hair while swimming.  All we have here is a small sink.  I also played about 50 -- ok an awful lot -- games of checkers.

We have gone visiting three different families so far.  We are trying to make as many "contacts" as possible.

OH -- tomorrow I'm to go horse back riding at 3:00 pm.  OH -- I bet I'll be sore!!  That is if I'll be able to get myself on.  I'm going to be riding with a boy named Allard.  He's 15 -- actually I'm not to date or give that appearance but I figure a fifteen year-old boy -- that should be OK.

So -- ok -- Get on the the ball and write me a letter [new address included] -- the other way we would have only gotten mail once or twice a week.  The P.O. is about 4 miles in the General Store but I know I'll get there somehow.

Everyone has just been super-friendly.   Me & Lyn (um - proper English would be Lyn & I) are the only WHITE people I've seen since Ron (missionary we're under) left.  I think I'm beginning to understand a LITTLE bit what Joe went thru in Africa.  Every Indian child I've met so far has had a runny nose.  But -- are they friendly.

Mother told me a brief story of the wedding.  WOW -- how exciting it all sounded.  Will you all be in Michigan for Cathy's wedding?

The country up here is really beautiful.  I wish you all could see it.  I'll have to take some pictures anyway.  By the way I hope I get pictures of Mares wedding -- at least just to look at & then return.

This is a great ranching area.  It's really something to have people come up & tie their horses while they visit.

If Grandma is still in Florida -- Hello!

As for cooking we are doing fine.  Had some beef stew tonight -- out of a can.  Also -- fruit (mixed), this morning had spam & biscuits & eggs.  

Well,  I hope all of you all are fine.  I hope to hear all about the wedding from the mother's point of view.  Write!!

Love in Christ,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album