Wednesday, June 23, 2021

1971 Catherine's letter -June 25

 

June 25, 1971

Dear Mom, Dad, Serena, John, Mary and Cris,

Hi!  I trust you all made it home without too much discomfort because of my absence.  I had a good flight (the plane was ⅓ to ½ full) and Dick, Mrs. Hall, Debby and Doug met me at the airport.  It was midnight Michigan time by the time we got home so I was plenty tired.  The backpack made it ok although the dress that was on top was starting to fall out.  The box came through with one ripped corner but nothing inside was hurt.  I've gotten all my stuff unpacked and pretty well organized.  It's hard to believe I will have one place to live for a whole year.

I called Win Schuler's this morning and got the arrangements started for our brunch [following the wedding].  She said that with so many of us (I told her we'd have 35-50 and that I'd give her a more definite number a couple days ahead) it would be best to come at 10.  We can have the "Dickens Room" and the brunch will cost $3.50 for adults and $1.75 for children plus 15% gratuity (?).  They can furnish a cake and flowers for the table if we furnish the money for them!  she suggested just having flowers for the head table but then I was thinking maybe just the cake as a center piece would be enough.  The cake might be somewhere else though or too tall.  Let me know what you think.  The lady's name is Mrs. Ditto and she will be on vacation from July 5-19.  Please remember that in case I call you from Maine and let you get in touch with her or something.  I told her I would see that she found out about what kind of cake we want as soon as possible.  And the flowers and other stuff can be worked out the week before.

Dick's dad's name was Howard B. Hall.  Dick likes the idea of putting a picture of us in the write-up but we don't have those hitchhiking pictures back yet.  Do you have any pictures of the two of us?

I got a couple hours of studying done today so at least I feel started on it.  We're going up to Manistee this weekend so I'm glad I already have some done.  Our plans now are to leave for Maine either next Thursday and get into Canada before the 4th or wait until Monday afterwards.  We're going to drive the car up to Clio and go from there.

We got the car fixed today, or rather tuned up and all that stuff.  The gas station man brought it back about 15 minutes ago so I have to leave pretty quick to go pick up Dick.

Debby said she would write me as soon as she can about whether she will come to the wedding.  If she can't write to me I told her to write you.  I think I'll write a letter to Marianne at her new address and ask her to be the 4th bridesmaid.

Love,
Cathy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album