Wednesday, June 16, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -June 20

 

June 20, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Wow!  Thanks alot for the post-card I got yesterday from Florida!  I can't get over the fact that it only took two days to get here.  Glad you thought to sent it to Thetis!

Sounds like you all had a good time in Florida.  Hope John & Dad enjoyed their sailboat ride.  There are about 5 canoes & a couple of row boats here.  A few of us want to take one out maybe tomorrow.

Besides this afternoon we really haven't had any 'free' time.  This afternoon we were suppose to take a tour of the island & then go into some caves here.  But it really rained so it was cancelled.

One thing the weather of Oregon really prepared me for the weather here.  (cold-damp/raining)

Hi! -- I just got back from the meeting where we found out where we will be.  I'll be in a town called Quilchena.  There will be another girl named Lyn with me.  She was in the program last year.  We'll be living in a school house.  They said they wanted to send boys there but there weren't enough boys.  It's a ranching area & they said I'll learn to ride a horse quick.  Also -- we'll be doing our own cooking!!

I'm really excited about all of this.  I hope you all can get out a map & see where I'll be.

Also it will be hot there.  Also bugs -- (ugh!)

Now for the important news.  My address -- . . . . Merrit, B.C.

As I said before -- we will be in a town called Quilchena but the missionary I'll be under lives in Merritt & that is where I'll get my mail from.  Now -- be sure and write you all!!

I've got to be getting my new address "out" so I better close for now.

Love in Christ,
Bert

Lyn is a school teacher from Alabama.  Was actually in Quilchena last year too.  She said we will be cooking on a coleman stove!!

Also -- I was wondering about buying film to make slides with.  Do you think it would be worth it?  We do have a slide projector -- don't we?

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album