Thursday, June 24, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -June 25

 

June 25, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Right now I'm on the ferry going to Vancouver (from Nanaimo [BC]).  It's 9:00 A.M.  -- we got on the ferry at Thetis at 6:15.  We should be in Quilchena about 8:00 P.M.  The ride from Vancouver to Merritt is suppose to really be pretty.

I'll enclose the schedule we had at Thetis Island.  As you can see we were really pretty busy.  I'll also enclose a list of the kids in the program & a sketch map.

North Shuswap where Pam is -- is about 60 miles from me.  Merritt is only 14 miles away.  I think I told you all on the phone that North Shuswap was 14 miles away.  So that's wrong -- it's Merritt.

Hey -- Mom -- I was talking last night to this woman on the mission staff from Penn., and I asked her if she knew where New Cumberland was.  WOW -- she couldn't believe, she told me she lived about five minutes from there -- in Mechanicsburg.  Does that sound right at all?  [It probably didn't sound right as Mechanicsburg is 7 miles from New Cumberland PA, but 230 miles from New Cumberland WV -- still, as usual, Roberta made a good connection with another person.]  

What all is Cris doing at the shop?  How is everything at the shop?  Tell all the ladies that I say Hello!

Also if & when you see Hazel Penn you could tell her I'm fine & a little bit about Quilchena.  I'm really anxious to get there myself & see it for myself.

I'll try & get a better map for you all.

I'll close for now.  Canadian stamps now 6¢ -- but July 1st it goes up to 7¢.  Too bad, huh?  Hope you all are fine.

Love in Christ,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album