Tuesday, June 29, 2021

1991 Roberta's Letter -June 30

 


6/30/91

Dear Folks,

Am I confused?  I thought you all were going down to see Mary VA & Don this weekend.

We have had a busy weekend.  It started out at Sat. 5:00 AM -- we went HIKING down at South Mountain then out to breakfast.  (Sid stayed here -- I went w/ the hiking group.)  It's actually getting TOO HOT for hiking even at leaving the house at 4:30 AM!

Today we got up & broke our routine of going out to breakfast at Carl's Jr. -- we went to McDonald's.  It was much different -- MORE KIDS, less comfortable seats (true fast food -- don't encourage you to linger) & more expensive.  They now charge 25¢ for Sr. Citizen coffee.  Used to be free!  Tough times!

Today in Church was the report of the Annual Conference held in Las Vegas.  Different setting than Lakeside!

We also went out to see movie: CITY SLICKERS -- it's pretty funny.  Unusual type of vacation!  Next Sunday afternoon we (Sr. Village) have free tickets to a play HAY FEVER.

I did get to Club Med (city pool) twice over the weekend for short visits.  I'd like to get over during the week but w/out success yet!

The gal I liked to replace Bev is working out real well.  She had worked in a large nursing home as a cook, but -- got quite bored w/just cooking.  (She was there 2 years!)  Here she does much more & seems very happy.  Her husband is military & they were stationed in Japan for 5 years.  They have been here 2 years & she says it looks like they will be here 4 more years.  Melanie Johnson -- she and her husband from Minnesota -- an old 30-year-old -- w/ a 13 year old & 9 year-old

Gloria's daughter who just graduated from college is out looking for work -- she has applied for position open w/FSL [Foundation for Senior Living] to run Home Repair program in Scottsdale.  It's for low income elderly/handicapped.  FSL gets Gov't $ to run the program -- It's been in PHX for 3-4 years, started last year in Glendale.  They arrange honest, reasonable repair work through volunteers or real repair men (or women).

I'll enclose our newest Activity calendar.  Arlene -- Activity Director -- is off for next 2 weeks to direct Pioneer's Girls Camp w/out Wendy this year!  Did you hear Dr. Dobson talking to Jr. Highers this past week?  I thought that was excellent.

Cynthia is off to Jamaica for 1 month mission then she flies here to spend 1 week w/Sid in Colorado.  When she goes back she starts her real church.

I have just finished 2 root canals & build-ups.  So I'm just about half through w/ the PAIN & money that will go in my mouth.  Between this & my new car I'm officially broke!!  But it's not that BAD -- I'm just glad we went ahead & got the car & the dental work I'll be glad to have done!

About to end of page -- hope you all can read my scribbles.

Love to you both,
Roberta

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album