Thursday, June 10, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -June 13

 

June 13, 1971 11:30 A.M.

Dear Family,

Hi!  Well -- Right now Bunny & I should be in Anacortes [Washington] but we missed the Greyhound bus!  And we got up at 4:00 A.M. this morning!  The thing of it was that we got on the earliest city bus at five after six.  The silly thing kept making all these stops.  I mean real stops -- like pull over & stop for about five minutes.  We got to the bus station about 6:37, bus left at 6:30.  We bought our tickets then came back to Bunny's house.  Now our plans are to get the 5:50 bus to Anacortes, spend the night there, then take the 8:00 ferry to Victoria [British Columbia].  We are going to leave here about 4:00 this afternoon so we'll be sure to get that 5:50 bus.

Yesterday we all went to Seattle Center, etc. etc.  Have you heard of Sick's stadium? [Seattle Baseball stadium demolished in 1979]  Bunny lives about 5 blocks from there.  We go near there to catch the buses.  Also saw yesterday the floating bridge.  Walked Bunny's dog -- which by the way is enormous.  About half the size of a horse but built like an elephant!!  We walked her dog to Lake Washington.  That's only about ten blocks from her house.  There is a beach & large park.  It's really nice.  Also went down to Pike's Market down by the water.  Also were in alot of thrift shops where Bunny looked for a back-pack.  She did buy one -- but this morning it was too full to carry on her back.

Well -- Today Catherine graduates from "K".  What a feeling of a sense of accomplishment that must be!!!

Remember -- you all to keep cool, calm, & collected during all the activities in Florida.  Be sure & tell all of the Hortons "Hi" for me.  Also of course, Grandma.

Last night on the news saw Tricia Nixon's wedding.

I'll close for now.  Will write you all a card in Victoria -- if we don't miss any more buses, etc.

Love
Bert

[Separate page]

Dad -- 

I hate to say this but by the 17th -- when we get in Vancouver I'm going to need some $$.  That $35.00 freight bill really hurt me bad.  Right now I've got $35.00 which should do me fine till Vancouver.  But when in Canada I'll need to buy some stamps & also want to buy some film.

Plus I was going to buy myself a pair of walking boots in Canada.  I've got a pair now but any amount of walking in them about kills me.  They just aren't good walking boots.  I counted on spending no more than $15 for my boots.

Twenty dollars -- $5 for stamps & film & $15 for boots would be greatly appreciated!!!

By the way -- I'm hoping to work at the shop a couple of weeks in September -- if they need me.  Just thought I'd throw that in!!!

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album