Saturday, June 12, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -June 16

 

June 16, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Right now I'm at [Lotti's?] house right out of Vancouver, B.C.  We stayed all night here last night.  B.C.'s ferries are so much better than Washington states.

OK.  We left the Parliament building till yesterday morning to see.  As we got closer to it we noticed all these people standing outside the building, all these security guards standing on steps & everyplace else.  So we stood there for about 15 minutes.  Finally I asked some one what we were standing there for -- my answer was "Sorry -- I don't speak English!!"  We asked someone else & they told us that the Constitutional Conference was meeting inside & they would soon all be coming out.  Well about 20 minutes later the guards stood up terribly straight & here came all of their members of Parliament.  I think that's the right name.  Then came the Prime Minister Pierre D-- or T--.  Anyway we saw them all.  We were really close to all of them.  The Prime Minister of Canada was really something -- everyone just went crazy when they saw him.  Too bad we don't know more about what & who we saw.

Because of the Constitutional Congress there weren't any tours through the Parliament building -- too bad!  But we did look around in there for awhile.

Outside of the museum we went to there was a place where men were working on totem poles.

We met two people in Victoria from Fox.  They were not together.  We thought that was really something.

June 17 -- Last night Bunny & I stayed all night at the YWCA in downtown Vancouver.   I got your letter.  We saw quite alot in Vancouver but it just seems like a big city -- Seattle, Portland, etc.  I like Victoria alot better.

Well, I better close -- alot of people are already here.  Will write from Thetis Island next.

We had no trouble crossing the border.  Glad I didn't need that letter!!

Love,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album