Tuesday, June 15, 2021

1961 Catherine's Letters -June 19,20

 

[postmarked June 21, 1961 Yellow Springs, Ohio]

Dear Everybody,

I am writing this at 11:00 at night.  In the morning I think we are going to have pancake for breakfast.  I do the supper dishes & set the table for breakfast.  The girls from other places in my cabin are Helen Swisshelm, Simon Kenton; Nancy Dean, Simon Kenton; Karen Blair, Simon Kenton; Janice Devo, Lees Creek; Jill Sparks, Sabina; Roxie Case, Sabina.  I went swimming 2 times today & could have gone 3.   Our tribes are name of cars.  We are the T-birds or thunderbirds.  We are losing!

It rained tonight so we had square dancing & campfire inside.  We got second place in our cabin today & hope to do better tomorrow.  It is now 11:20 & Shirley & Sybie are the only people asleep.

After I got here I couldn't find my comb so I borrowed Shirley's.

Love,
Catherine

Wednesday

Dear Mother & Daddy,

I got your letter this morning.  Weegie sent Shirley, Linda, Sybie, & I all letters but put my letter in somebody else's envelope.  We did not have pancakes this morning but are having them tomorrow instead.  Nancy who sleeps on the top bunk in the bed next to mine has some potato chips that she is giving me.  Helen & I & 2 boys had to take the flag down tonight & we'll put it up in the morning.  We didn't go swimming today because it was too hot!  (first day of summer)

Thurs.

Today was a little bit warmer.  Some people went swimming but I didn't.  Right now we are voting for an outstanding camper.  I voted for Roxie Case (an older girl in our cabin).  See you Saturday.

Love,
Catherine

2 comments:

Mary Uible Crowson said...

Is this church camp? Curious as to location/context!!

Catherine Uible Morgan said...

4-H camp I think. Would definitely have been a multi-denominational group. Near Yellow Springs.

Items from Uible photo album