Wednesday, July 21, 2021

1981 Catherine's Letter -July 20

 

Monday, July 20, 1981

Dear Mother, Dad, and Mary,

Hi!  Now I'm down to four weeks before beginning at the library!  Today will be different than an ordinary Monday as I have the day off from work.  At 3:15 this afternoon I have my annual gynecologist appointment in Bend.  Gerry is taking the afternoon off from work so we will all be in Bend.  It will be the first time we have been to Bend together (I went with the library board for lunch in April & to the Inn of the 7th Mountain for that dental program fiasco) since February.  We plan to stop at the Canned Food store in Redmond and pick up some bargains and then also do some shopping in Bend as I need a few new clothes to wear at the library.  And Wendy is always in need of new clothes.  Then we plan to have dinner at the Riverhouse -- our long delayed anniversary dinner.  that is where I went to lunch with the Library board and I was quite impressed with the menu and the service.  Hopefully we won't be disappointed tonight.  At least when we do go to Bend we make the most of it!

This morning I have to go to the Courthouse and do some work for the Elks.  They (the Elks) have an old, old addressograph machine which they inherited from the Courthouse when the County got a new one.  The addressograph runs off the mailing list from little metal plates but the Elks don't have a machine to make new plates or to change addresses on so that is what I am going to the Courthouse to do this morning.  Hopefully we will be able to print the addresses on the August Elks Bulletin by the end of this week so I am trying to get all the addresses up to date before then.  I have about 75 to either make or change this morning.  I will take Wendy with me and that way she won't have to go to Day Care at all today.

Yesterday we were really industrious and rented a steam cleaner from the grocery and shampooed the entire carpet.  We moved the furniture out into the driveway so we wouldn't have to clean around it.  It was a really hot day so the carpet dried quickly and it looks super good.  Before we did it the hallway and around the table looked pretty hopeless but it perked right up.  When I went to the store to get it they also sold me a large bottle of shampoo ($6.19) and after we had done about half the house we noticed the bottle said "de-foamer" which is what you are supposed to put in the receiving tank if the carpet has been shampooed recently.  We didn't need the defoamer so I took it back to the store and talked to the manager who had sold it to me as "shampoo".  He apologized for his error and our inconvenience and gave me an even larger bottle of shampoo ($8.99) in exchange.  So we started over.  The defoamer had done a good job but the shampoo was much better at getting up the spots.  And now we have enough shampoo left to do it again.

Saturday night we got a babysitter and went to a western dance at the Elks.  We had a really good time but there weren't very many people there.  They had advertised it quite a bit but either there was something else going on or people just weren't interested.  This Saturday night the class of '71 is having their reunion at the Elks.  The reunion furnishes their own music and pays to rent the facility but members can still come to the dance.  Our friend Emily who moved to Wyoming last year when her husband re-enlisted in the Air Force is coming back for the reunion so we are planning to go so we'll have a chance to see them.

I have two loads of clothes to hang out so better close and get started.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album