Tuesday, July 27, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -July 25

 

July 25, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Great to talk to you all last night.  I imagine that either the phone call or the letters you got from me after the phone call were a BIT on the confusing side!

Since what I said was the opposite over the phone about registration at U.C. than what I wrote.  Also since I am now planning on making the wedding I've got to get a hold of Bill Lothis.  In fact, I might call him because I don't know where to write him and they seem to have a habit of letting the mail wait & I do need to be making arrangements.

I'm really happy about my credits transferring -- every single one of them -- the way I've got it figured.  I'm going to write Portland Community College tonight about the class I took there.

It will be interesting to see what I can sign up for (classes) this fall.  Do you think Cris might have trouble transferring this late anywhere?

I just got done writing the Hortons -- got a letter from them yesterday.  I did tell them I might be at the wedding -- maybe nothing definite should be said since I'm not sure yet.

I think it would be better if I would fly into Chicago.  Then from there I could take a bus or train to Kalamazoo.  Or what do you all think?  Maybe you could ask Catherine what would be the best way to Kalamazoo from Chicago.

I will probably take a bus from Merritt to Vancouver -- then fly out of Vancouver.  I could fly out of Kamloops but the route from Merritt to Vancouver is sure a pretty one.  Also I could save some green stuff by taking the bus.

I have NO IDEA how much it will cost -- I would make a guess that $150.00 should do it -- with extra money for emergency already included (in the $150).  As I might have to take a taxi in Vancouver & Chicago and might have to spend a night in Vancouver.  I'll have to get some schedules before I can say anything for sure.  Dad -- what do you think about the overall cost??

Mary Virginia -- Monia says hello.  She was here this afternoon.  While she was here she tried on my wig -- all the Indian girls get a big kick out of wearing it -- trying it on each other.

OH -- what kind of dress should I have for the wedding?  All I have with me are A-line shifts.  I was thinking I would like to buy some material & get one of the Indian ladies help me make it.  Was thinking about a long dress.  If so -- I need about $5.00 for material.

Hi -- it's now Monay -- about 1:00 p.m.  I've got lunch fixed but can't find Dixie.  Having salmon that people on the reserve gave us.

Today in Bible School a girl eight years old wanted to know if I liked WHITE people?  I wonder now what she thinks I am . . . .

A family came back to the reserve from the states -- been in Wash. picking cherries -- that has 14 kids.  Wow -- it's a long story but the family is against every other family here.  Each one of these kids are real fighters.

I wrote Bill Lothis last night so I should hear for sure about going home in about a week.  I figure if it is God's will for me to be there I'll be there but if it isn't then I'll be home the 23rd for registration.

I better be closing.  Again -- was great to talk to you all.

Love in Christ,

Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album