Monday, July 26, 2021

1961 Jean and Catherine's Letter to/from camp -July 25

 



Tuesday 7/25 10:55 pm [sent to Sabina Methodist Camp ℅ Junior Camp 1961] 

Dearest Catherine,

Got back from Cincinnati this evening about 5:30 -- rather tired but had gotten alot done. 

Glad today was a dry day for you at camp for I was afraid you were in for a rainy week the way yesterday started.  

Haven't received any word from you but hope to by tomorrow at least

I'll be glad when the program on [Baptist Minister, orator, philanthropist, lawyer and writer] Russell Conwell is over so I can enjoy some other things without feeling guilty that I should be working on it.  I have enjoyed doing it nevertheless -- scarcely having heard of him before then.

The girls got horns for their bikes and we bought John a "Lawn Sweeper" -- will gather up grass or leaves -- in a container on the back of a sort of lawn mower.  You'll have to see it for it's hard to explain.

Looking forward to seeing you Friday --

Love and XXXX -- Daddy & Mother

P.S. [at top of first page]  Dick Tracy [my then favorite comic strip] is really getting exciting & poor Chipper is in for a disappointment, huh?  Hope you can stand the suspense for this may be the last comics we send.


* * * * *

[postmarked Sabina 7/26/61]

Dear Family,

I am having a wonderful time.  Last night we had a pool party and we were in the water about 2 min. when it started lightning so we had to get out.  For lunch we had Spinach!  I spilled Grape Jelly on my white blouse.  Our Counselor (Miss Lewis) said it would probably come out.  5 out of 11 rooms on our floor are filled.  I had my choice of taking arts & crafts, drama, nature, newspaper, or choir.  I didn't know what to do so I ended up in the choir.  The nurse has 3 children with her, Jimmy, 7; Dee-Dee, 5; & Peter, 3.


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album