Friday, July 23, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -July 22


July 22, 1971
(6:45 A.M.!)

Dear Family,

Hi!  Got your letter mailed the 13th yesterday.  Air mail is a couple of days faster since I got the air mail letter written the 17th two days ago.

Dixie and I both appreciate all the 'research' you all did on the Indian people.  The Indians here are OKANAGAN.  Do let me know if you find anything on them.

Quilchena and Douglas Lake Reserves make up what is called Upper Nicola Band.  The 'band' would be similar to our town councils.  Just thought I would stick that in -- in case you run into any really detailed information.

About the registration at U.C.  Um -- I really don't know.  You know I'll be out of Re-cap and back in Vancouver the 22nd of August.  I could fly home and that way I would be home by the 23rd.  But -- I have had it in my brain to take the train home -- through Canada -- and if I do that it will take more than one day.

I hate to miss it by just a few days and then because I took the train home.  But -- if I can get "practically the same things done" a day earlier in Sept. . . I really don't know what I should do.  Let me know what you all think.

Thanks so much for sending my shoes.  I wore them all day yesterday!!  Three people noticed my "new shoes".  People are VERY observant around here.

About my clothes from school.  They should all be clean or fairly clean.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to wash the bed spreads.  One of them has a small rip-like tear [small diagram of the rip] on one end of it.  You may want to sew it before getting it washed.

Yesterday was another big day.  I had Bible School all by myself.  Two girls -- one nine years old and the other 8 got in a fight!!  Wow -- it was um -- exciting.  Later after I got them separated and calmed down they couldn't tell me how it started.  In fact, about ten minutes later they were both working together again on a craft project.

We've been having some pretty good craft projects.  At least we think so!!  We are now letting the kids make mosaics out of colored cracked egg shells.  The frame is made out of popsicle sticks.

Yesterday we had the lesson on creation -- today we are going on a hike with them -- so I thought the two would tie in together.

After the lesson I handed out paper & we had a contest of things God has given us.  Not to include 'things' like cars that man has put together.   Some of the kids really did good.  One girl wrote down 'dust'.  I can see how she got it -- really dusty roads, etc.

Yesterday afternoon we were invited to a baby shower.  It was for an Indian mother up there that had twin girls.  One was named Roberta so I heard my name quite a bit.  The shower was at Douglas Lake but most of the women from here went.

We (Dixie & I) felt kind of cheap there as there were some really nice gifts.  We each bought 2 pairs of rubber panties -- 82¢ apiece.  Then we didn't have any wrapping paper so we melted crayons on wax paper.  Everyone wanted to know where we got the 'fancy' wrapping paper.

Then last night we went to Schlus for a Bible Study with the Nicola Valley Indian Fellowship.  They are the ones that were in charge of the meeting at Douglas Lake a few days ago.

Wow -- you would not believe the um -- insight that the natives have with the Bible.  Also -- get this -- it started at 8:00 and we left at 11:30 and we left early!!!  Dan & Ed -- the boys at Douglas Lake in SMI wanted to get back because they had to throw bales for someone today.

At the Bible Study I talked to Sunny -- another SMI'er -- who by the way is from Canton, Ohio.  Anyway she told me about these totem poles that she & Rob (another SMI'er) bought.  They bought about 10 of them and were able to get a real good deal.  Anyway -- there is a beautiful $15.00 one -- that she said was $25.00.  She said it was really a good deal.  Would you all like it?  She said it would be a good deal -- sight unseen.  If you would like it I need $15.00.  Also there is a smaller one for $5.00 that I would like to buy to give the Browns.  So $5.00 + $15.00 makes $20.00.  (Um -- see what a year of college did for me!!)  So I would appreciate $20.00 very much.  You can consider your totem pole a gift -- I am planning on working at the shop.  If you don't want the totem poles or don't think you want to pay that is OK.  

But do let me know so I can let Sunny know.  Also the money goes to the mission.  If you do send money it might be a good idea to sent it in care of Elroy Pankratz, Box 1356, Merritt, B.C.  If you want to make it out in care of North American Indian Mission -- then Elroy could cash it for me & also it would be tax deductible.

I can cash a check in the banks in Merritt.  They charge me a quarter (25¢) a check.  You are paid 1.75% exchange.  But usually -- on the two checks I've had the check charge takes it.

I'll be checking & figuring about the money I need to buy my ticket home.  If you all are near an airport you might check it out there.  I'll try to find out myself about the train.  If I did fly it would be from Vancouver to um - Dayton or Cincinnati.

Well, I better go -- now 8:00 and I've got to get ready for our hike today.

Let me know about the totem poles -- but I do think it is a good deal.

Be sure & tell everyone hello for me.  Especially Grandma & Mrs. Penn -- have been meaning to write the Lynds but -- do tell them hello.

Please tell Mary Virginia that Maria would really be happy with a note of some kind.

Hope John is doing ok --

Love in Christ,
Bert

P.S. Totem poles are carved by someone around here.


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album