Thursday, July 29, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letters -July 26-27

 

July 26, 1971

Dear Family --

Hi!  I just found out from Elroy that I will be able to leave early.  He called up Bill Lottis last night so it is final.  And I wrote Bill Lottis last night -- fast reply -- huh?

I should be leaving here the morning of the 13th for Vancouver -- by bus.  I should get there about 5:00 p.m.  Then I'll get to the airport and ???

Do you think I should have a reservation on a flight to Chicago?  Or perhaps just trust to luck???  I don't know myself.  If you think I should get a reservation please let me know as soon as possible.

I really want to get some pretty Indian material & have someone here help me make it.  I do need some money to buy the material.

Please do check on arrangements from Chicago to Kalamazoo if at all possible.  If not I'll be able to do my own checking when the time comes.

If you haven't said anything about me coming home to people back home -- DON'T.  If you have that's fine.  As I would enjoy surprising people when I do come home early.

What do you all plan to do after the wedding?  Will you spend a few days in Michigan or go directly back home?  When will I be able to start work at the shop???

Do tell Grandma "Hi" for me.  Who from New Vienna will be going to the wedding?

Everything is fine.  Do let me know soon about reservation or stand-by & what you think best.  Elroy will mail this in Merritt for me -- Got to go.  

Love in Christ, Bert

P.S. What about flying into Detroit?  And then going to Kalamazoo from there.  Would you all be able to pick me up there?  (In Detroit!)  How far is Kalamazoo from Chicago?  Detroit?

When you write closer to the time please let me know Dick's last name -- address & phone number.  Also if possible yours in Kalamazoo if it would be different.

Well -- got to go -- Again!

Dad -- Could you check on flights from Vancouver to either Chicago or Detroit????


* * * * *

July 27, 1971

Dear Grandma,

Hi!  Thanks so much for your letter and also for the pictures.  Catherine sure did get her hair-cut didn't she?  Rob's hair looked long -- but good looking!

Gee -- Grandma I don't know if I would be home long enough to make a cake or pie on a wooden stove.  But I have tried cookies & they were all eaten!!

We are lucky about cutting fire wood because we do have a good supply & we often just use the hot plate we have.

This morning a little boy asked me if my father was an Indian.  Then he asked about my mother.  Gee -- I really wonder what they think I am.  I think they have us in a special group.

We only have one more day of Bible School.  Then we'll have more time for home visits, etc.

Tomorrow night we are having a program to cover what we did in Bible School for the parents.  It should be interesting as these kids are really something.

Thanks again for the pictures & your letter.

Hope you are fine.

Love in Christ,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album