Tuesday, July 13, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -July 12


 July 12, 1971
Dear Family,

Hi!  How are you all?  Just now got your letter that was mailed the 8th and was sent to Quilchena.  We've got "mail delivery" now.  A woman named Sara who lives on the reserve has a son working at the store so she always checks on it for us.  So that is really nice for us, and she seems to enjoy playing "postman".

Well.  I've got news for you all.  I went to the hospital yesterday -- as a patient -- not a visitor.  Exciting, huh?  Well -- I guess I told you all about having some type of rash all over me.  I was really hot & itchy with it.  Nancy -- Elroy's wife who is also a nurse -- took me to the hospital.  The doctor doesn't know what it could be but told me to come back Tuesday if it's the same.  He said it isn't taking the usual form of poison oak or ivy.  Said I had eaten or ran into something that I must be allergic to.  He gave me a prescription to help the itching.  It does seem to help alot.

I was only in the hospital about fifteen minutes so you see it was a SHORT visit.

The insurance with N.A.I.M. paid for the visit -- in fact everything but the pills.  So that was good.

I'm not sure about the price of gasoline but it is no doubt quite high.  Every thing is so much higer here than in the states.

No, we don't have an allowance to buy fruit, vegetables, etc, with.  This is a summer of cans & in some cases boxes.

Bible School today went fine.  I had the lesson.  I still find vocabulary to be a little bit of a problem.

We were in Merritt all day yesterday plus we were in there all day Saturday.  It was pretty nice to get back to Quilchena last night.

Tomorrow night we are having a "fun night".  Actually we are having it to encourage kids to go to camp -- at Thetis Island.  Sappy is going to show slides, etc.  We have asked that each family bring a plate of cookies, or something like that for refreshments.  That idea seemed to go over really good.

Be sure & tell Grandma Hello for me.

I better be going -- I've got a couple people I want to visit today.  Hope you all are fine.  Thanks again for the letter & also news paper clipping!!

Love in Christ,
Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album