Monday, July 05, 2021

1971 Roberta Letter -July 4

 

July 4, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Life around here has been pretty exciting.  Last night we had a slumber party for some of the girls.  Most of them were between the ages of ten & thirteen.  They had us up all night laughing, etc. etc.  There were four of them here.

Well.  We stayed in the school house last night because of the slumber party.  This morning we went over to the house and the screen door had been broken and the big door was unlocked; which was not the way we left it.  We went in and nothing seems to be gone & also there wasn't anybody in there.  I can't understand the who & why that the house was broken into.  We will be spending the nights there from now till Patsy gets back.

Also yesterday we figured out that all of our jello & about 8 cans of fruit are missing.  We keep the food over at the school house since we're there so often & also we're only at the house for a week or two.  I can't understand about our food being gone either because we keep the school locked when we aren't there.  It's hard to understand these things . . . .

Yesterday I spent about two hours writing 2 - 1 page letters for this old man on the reserve.  He can not read or write.  It was pretty funny because he would be talking to me at the same time he was telling me what to put down and alot of times I got confused.  Then to top it off he -- like alot of others -- especially the older people -- use the pronoun "He" in referring to both men & women.  Gee -- I sure found that to be confusing.  He would be talking about his daughter & refer to her as "He".

When I was done he wanted to look at them & that was fine.  But he looked at them -- at least one of them up-side down and looked at it for about a minute and a half and then said it looked OK.

Our Bible School starts tomorrow.  For the first week we are doing the story of Esther.  I - [We] don't know yet about next week.  It is pretty rough when you work mostly with your own brain.  But then there is God too & He s a big help -- when you allow Him to work.  I'm beginning to find out more & more how true that is.

By the way I haven't gotten my grades yet from last term.  Don't want you all to think I'm holding them out.  Gee -- I sure hope I don't feel like holding them when I do get them!!  I doubt if I get any more mail from Box 2014 Merritt till this coming Saturday -- as that is the next time Emily said she'll be going into Merritt.

Today was my day to cook. For breakfast we just had cold cereal -- we had (or did) feed the four girls.  We all ate a big & full coffee can of cheerios.  For lunch we had bacon & bean soup (out of a can) & biscuits.  Then for supper -- Now get this.  ½ can of Spam warmed up, creamed corn & instant potatoes, & kool-aid.  Now tell me I'm not the cook.  (Ho, Hum!!)

These last few days have really been pretty warm.  We went down to the beach day before yesterday.  It was really nice -- but oh, the mosquitoes!!  This is, without a doubt the mosquito capital of the world!!

The kids here really think my tape player is some thing great.  They would "play" with it every minute -- if I would let them.  I taught most of them how to use it & boy, do they "act" important while using it.

I'll send you all a tape IF you think you can find a tape player.  I'm sure Sandy Wiget would let you all use their tape player if you wanted to.  Let me know whatever you think.  

I sent the Browns an article I found in a Merritt newspaper.  It is interesting -- tells a little about a few of the Indians -- at least the authors view point of "WHITE" people.

Mom, you would not believe the filth some of these people live in.  It's just not dirt -- it's grime, etc. & i don't know what all else.  Not that I'm just a clean person but I just don't enjoy eating off a dirty plate -- one that I didn't put the dirt on.  OHHHHHH . . . .

What all will you all be doing this summer?  Will the next big "thing" be Cathy's wedding?  I'm really sorry I'll be missing it.  Tell her I can make it a week later.  Right now I think I'll be coming home straight from Vancouver by Choo Choo train.  But then that is another 7 weeks or so and I don't make up my mind that far ahead!!  (at least for sure!!)

Next Saturday I might be going to an Indian wedding in Merritt.  I might have to baby-sit with Danny -- the little boy we'll be taking care of for two weeks.

Well.  I better go.  I'm going to write Hortons now.  

Do write & let me know when & how my stuff got home.  Also if you would please send my gym shoes -- if you can find them. I need them for swimming, etc.  Can't go in these rocky beaches without shoes & I sure don't want to take either of the pairs of shoes I got up here in the water.

Is Grandma home?  Be sure & tell her I say hello & that I'll write her in a few days.

Got to go -- Hope you all are fine . . . .  Hi to Cris --

Love, in Christ
Bert


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album