Thursday, May 13, 2021

1981 Catherine's Letter -May 11


 Monday, May 11, 1981

Dear Mother, Dad, & Mary,

Hi!  Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day, Mother.  Gerry had to work Saturday so we didn't have a very long weekend but managed to keep busy.  Saturday night we went to a housewarming for my boss -- they recently moved into a house they had built in a subdivision (rural) about two miles south of town.  It's a two story house with about 2000 square feet and a greenhouse - passive solar system on the south side.  There were probably about 50 people there.

Yesterday late afternoon we played golf and Mona stayed with Wendy.  The wind was over 25 mph so it was a little breezy.  The temperatures haven't been very warm either.  Last week we had several days that didn't get above 50 and the wind made it feel even cooler.  Maybe this week we'll have some warmer weather.

I took quite a few of the clothes that Wendy has outgrown to a consignment shop that has opened up here in Madras.  They will display items for three months and if they sell I get 50% and they get 50%.  After three months if they don't sell I get them back again.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  The girl running the place told me that business has been so good she is looking for part time help.  I also bought gifts for my Bunco group since they are meeting at our house this month.  We each pay $5 and then the gifts are worth $20, $15, $12, $8 & $5.  The Bunco will be on the 21st this month (third Thursday).

We got our raft!  Gerry ordered one through work so we got it at a discount.  The one we really wanted isn't available this year due to imports (made in Taiwan) so they sent one that is $30 more expensive at the same cost to us.  We haven't decided yet if we are going to keep it as it is really bigger than what we wanted.  Now we have to get paddles and life jackets and we'll be ready to head down the river.  We talked to some of our friends who are really into rafting (last year they went on 16 weekend trips and one week trip) and they said we could go with them anytime.  The rapids that they go through though I don't think we would want to take Wendy.

The next library board meeting is scheduled for the first Tuesday in September which will be my first week on my own at the library!  I guess there won't be any more for me as a board member.  Two of the older board members have resigned so at the last meeting we picked replacements for them and also one for me so the new board will have three new members.  Whether that will make it easier or more difficult for me remains to be seen!  It will definitely lower the average age of the board members as the new ones are all young.  Better close.

Love,
Catherine, Gerry & Wendy

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album