Wednesday, May 12, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letters -May 7,10&11


 May 7, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi.  Thanks alot for the post card today and also got the stuff sent from U.C. which you will find included.  One of the white slips needs a signature.  Please forward on the pink slip and the two white slips.  On the pink slip I just made two guesses . . . if you should talk to someone that would have any better guesses just change them.  Those names of the dorms don't mean a thing to me.  But, do be sure to send the pink slip in.

Yesterday was a long day in Portland as the car we were in broke down completely.  Of course we were right down-town when it happened.  Right now the car is at a gas station in Portland and we got a way back about nine last night.

I heard today from Aunt Mary that Cris got rejected.  I suppose you all heard that too.  Thanks alot for the addresses.

I don't know yet about going to California after school is out.  I would only have a week but then again I don't exactly care to stay in Newberg during that week.  I might try and spend some time in Seattle, etc.  Right now I am not going to worry about it.

Should I see about buying a case for my typewriter before I take it to wherever?  They cost fifteen dollars . . . .  I still use it quite alot especially for English and Civilization.  We did not have Civ at all this week which can't be beat.  The school's choir is on tour right now up in British Columbia with about 50 kids in it so alot of classes were either small or cancelled.

Hope you all had a nice Mother's Day . . . .

School is doing ok . . . .  Have got alot of the work done that isn't due till the end of the term and that is a good feeling.

Well, I better be closing.  Tell Grandma I said hi.  And thanks for sending the stuff in to U.C.  I don't think they want any money this time, and what a change that is . . . .

Love,
Bert

May 10, 1971

Dear Grandma,

Hey -- thanks alot for your card & also the $20.00  Wow!  Getting older has it's advantages!  I'll try & wait till after the 14th to cash it -- but it will sure be a big temptation!

School is going fine.  A month today we'll be out.  I'm really dreading the exams -- they strain my brain more than anything else.

How are the jack letters coming along?  I got a postcard today from Dad.  Also a letter from Mary Virginia.  

Oregon has really warmed up.  Today it is about 80º & supposed to be that again tomorrow.

The card was really pretty & thanks again for the $20.00.  I'll let you know what I do with it.  I've got alot of stuff I want to buy before I go to Canada.  I'm still not sure about what kind of clothes to take.  But do want to take comfortable & easy to care for clothes.

Well.  Thanks again.

Love,
Bert

May 11, 1971
Dear Family,

Hi!  Right now Pam & I are at Herbert Hoover park which is about 1½ blocks from the school.  We are out 'trying' to get some of the sun's rays.  It's close to 85º today.

Thanks alot for the letter today.  Also the article written about small town policemen -- Hillsboro.  It was really interesting!  And of course thanks for the check.

Since this hot weather came along we have been having more classes outside.  Got my English paper back yesterday that I did last Thursday night -- the night we got back late from Portland -- Mary's car broke down -- anyway -- I got an 'A' on it which really surprised me.

I've got my term paper in English about ¾ done.  We had to get 4 poems on the same subject and then compare them.  Also tell about the figures of speech used in the, rhyme, etc.  I'm doing mine on purposeful living.

I'll look up that article in the Together magazine about the peace symbol.  That's something I would like to do a term paper on -- but don't think it would fit in with any subject very good.

The 22nd of May the school is to have an all school outing to the ocean.  That should be fun.

OH!  Last night my typewriter went sick on me.  But it's feeling fine now.  I was typing Civilization & all of a sudden the typewriter would just type one letter on top of the next instead of moving over.  Also the space bar would not work.  Well, I pushed the power return & it worked fine -- in fact it just kept on -- going clear down the page.  So I called up Dave Greenwald who messes with sick stuff and he told me to bring it to the sub.  He operated on it & it made it fine.  There were two copper pieces that should have been taken out after shipping it here.  It works fine now.

I'm sending Rev. Lynd a post-card.

You all will have to see Vanessa's team play ball since the shop is sponsoring them.  I think all of the league games or whatever will be in Sabina.

Only 38 more days I'll be in Canada!

I might be going to Seattle and then spend some time in Canada before the 17th of June.

I got Dad's post card from Chicago yesterday -- thanks.

Well, I better be going.  I've got 2 more letters to write today.  I sure will hate it when the postage goes up!!  Thanks for the letter & be sure & write!!

Love,
Bert  

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album