Sunday, May 16, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letters -May 14 & 16

 


May 14, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Thanks ALOT for the birthday card & also the two checks.  The Canada one is already in the envelope ready to go.

I've got more-or-less news.  I've got a way to San Francisco next week-end but I'm not sure yet if I'll be going.  Wendy & her parents are driving down to see a ball-game & they invited us to go.  Wendy is from Yreka - Calif. and is going to Canada this summer in the same program we will be in.  But the big problem is that we haven't got a ride to Yreka.  Wendy isn't going to school this term.  She is just living at home.  It's only a 5 hour trip by car to Yreka -- but 10½ hours by bus & less than an hour by plane.  But then to fly would cost $32.00 -- from Portland to Medford.  Cost by bus is $28.00!!  I really doubt if I go unless I find a ride at least half-way there.  But again, time will tell.  Don't be surprised if you get a post card from me of the Gold Gate Bridge!  I've got my homework done up so I can afford to go in that respect.

Tomorrow I am going to the Ocean.  I'll send you all a post-card while they are still 5¢!

I got a post-card from Catherine today.  But she didn't say much except "Happy Birthday."

There will be four of us from Fox going to the same program in Canada.  Pam, Wendy & another girl from Newberg.  At least that is all we know of.

Thanks again for the card & MONEY -- I'm very curious about this box coming from Cincinnati -- any hints?

I'll let you know about how I wisely waste my money!  I've got to get some clothes for one thing & also boots.  THANKS & ALSO thanks for the stamps!!

Love,
Bert   

May 16, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Thanks alot for the phone call tho I don't quite understand it about someone calling you & using Pam's name.  I talked to Pam last night & she could not understand it either.

Last night I finished the book World Prosperity as Sought through the Economic work of the League of Nations.  Then I wrote up a book review of it for Civilizations.  I've still got to check the book reviews of it in the library but other than that I'm all done.  I got more out of reading the preface than the whole rest of the book.  It really strained by brain in some parts.  As I said I'm working for an 'A' out of that class.  We didn't have a midterm.  Our final will be oral.  I'm sorta dreading that.

I was really surprised & happy to hear about Catherine getting married in August.  That was the 1st I had heard about it.  As I said, I got an invitation to Mare's wedding yesterday.  I thought they would get those out before the postage went up.

I would appreciate it if you all would send me my navy blue gym shoes & also the black rain boots that you can fold up.  You know -- they are real flexible.  As for the poncho, I think it would be better to keep it home then I can get it when I get home.  Maybe Serena would want to wear it.  I'm anxious to see it but since it is heavy & also I'm afraid to take too good of stuff to Canada.  That way mrs. Thornburg won't have to be rushed either.  But I would appreciate the gym shoes & rain boots.  If you can't find them it's ok.  Don't worry about it as I can do without them.

I just now got back from supper.  I worked in the dishroom after lunch & also after supper today.  Just got in about 2½ hours of work.  I did tell you all I also worked last weekend after 3 meals.  But I'm just a substitute.  Today I subbed for a boy who plays in the and & was gone at a band concert.

I also bought some blouse material yesterday in Portland.  Last night started on it at 11:00 & did get it finished.  I'll send a piece of the material.  It's just a plain sleeveless long blouse.  Then I also got the pants suit which I already told you all about.

I still don't know about this week-end.  It would be exciting to go but I wonder if it's worth it for just a week-end.

Well, tell 'Hi' to Grandma.  I'll send her a piece of the material of my dress.  Cindie is going to make it.  I couldn't cash Mom's check in Portland & saw the pants suit so Mary F. loaned me the money.

Got 3 pairs of ear-rings for my birthday.  The book Words of Life -- from Pam.  It's like Leaves of Gold -- it's not-book size.  Also some other odds & ends.  All of the above was from kids from school.

Well, I better be closing.  I hope you all are ok.  Hope the phone calls -- from who-ever called -- didn't scare you all too much.  Can't understand it myself.

How are you all getting to Florida?  When?

Love,
Bert  

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album