Monday, May 03, 2021

1971 Roberta's letter to John -Apr.22

 

April 22, 1971
Dear John Honey,

Well, Happy Earth day!  I hope you're doing fine and all of that stuff.

What's new with you?  How are you & what are you doing in school?  By the way John, I'm really terribly sorry I never got to come visit you in one of your classes over Spring Vacation!  But, I promise I'll go with you one day next fall!  (Ho, Hum!)

Yesterday, I almost had me a real-live job.  This man called me up from the Newberg Old Folks home.  He wanted me to be a nurses aid from 3 to 11 at night -- at least 3 days a week.  I put my application in there the 1st part of January.  But then since I could only work for about 6 weeks and I didn't want those hours I couldn't take the job.  Please tell Mom & Dad about this 'big' job offer.

What are you doing in scouts?  Do you still help Rita?  Will you be going camping this summer?  Do you & Kevin still go on those long old hikes?

Tell Grandma I say hello.

I hope you have been behaving yourself lately -- now that you are a big teeny-bopper!!!

By the way have you eaten any oreos lately?

Today in Speech class we had a test over the phonetic alphabet.  I don't understand it really but I'm hoping I did OK.  I really strained my brain learning it last night.  I'll give you my name in it =  rəˈbɜːtə  -- well I think that is right.

Now, I just know you're really excited about it -- just like me so I'll give you a few more examples.  [Transcription note:  I'm not going to give you the half-page listing of words and their phonetic equivalent.  For more details check out this phonetics webpage:  Youglish.com]

Silly, huh?  OH -- you should see some of the funny curly Q's or whatever in some words.

Well, John, I better be going.  I think this week is STRAIN Roberta's Brain Week -- and to close the week in the same style I've got 2 tests tomorrow.

So tell everyone I said hello.  I'm anxious to hear from you.  (Hint)  And let me know if you want the OHIO book.  As Mom for more details.  I'll be glad to send it to you.  It is a really GOOD (gʊd) book.

Well, be good & no smoke bombs.  Do you hear me????

Love,
Bert   

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album