Monday, May 31, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letters -June 1&2

 


June 1, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  I got the Church News Letter today -- did you all see my name in print.  Wow -- was I ever surprised to see the whole letter I wrote.  [re: the Canadian Indian summer program]  I hope you all sent a letter in -- I was going to send one to you all too but didn't.

We got our Civilization book Reviews back yesterday.  I got an 'A' on on mine.  If I get an A on the notebook I might get out of the exam which would sure be ok with me.

Bunny & I are planning on going to Canada.  She went home (Seattle) over the week-end.  It's fine with her mom.  She also called the bus station & got information about bus schedules, & also ferry schedules.  The one ferry ride will take over five hours!!  Cost about $6.00!!  Wow --

My exams will be starting a week from today.  All of mine are on Tuesday & Wednesday.

I haven't even started packing yet.  I figure maybe I'll feel more like throwing some stuff out at the last minute.  Also it's hard to think what all I'll want in Canada.

Be sure & tell Grandma "Hi" for me.

I'm doing my persuasive speech on why we should have a will -- you know when you die.  I was going to do one on why we should NOT have exams.

Well.  Listen.  I better be going.  Pam & Mary & I are going to Portland to the S&H stamp place.  I'll let you all know what I buy with my 'stamps'.

Please tell Rev. Lynd I appreciate his putting my letter in the church news letter.

Hope you all are fine.

Love in Christ,
Bert

* * * * *

June 2, 1971

Dear Family,

Hi!  Thanks so much for your letter, checks, & also newspaper clippings.

I've already gone down-town, & got $50.00 out to put in travellers checks.

Two boys from George Fox are missing.  They went hunting and never came back.  Kinda scary, huh?

We did go to the S&H place yesterday in Portland.  Pam & I both got really nice flash-lights.  Now, get this -- they would have cost us $8.95 in a store.  We checked today while downtown.  Anyway -- they just took 2¾ books apiece.  They can (supposed to) shed light for ¼ of a mile.  Also has a red flashing light.  A real classic of a flashlight.

I also got a small hair dryer.  You know one of those you hold in your hand.  Also a billfold which I'll probably give as a gift to someone here.

I sure hope postage is still 6¢ in Canada.  Remember if the shop has any unused Canadian stamps I'll be glad to take them.

How did John's big hike go?  Did Serena ever get her license?

What will Catherine be doing this summer?  Will she be coming out this way?  Who is going to be in Catherine's wedding?  Mary Virginia -- are you ready to be the flower girl for Mares?

Bunny & I think we have a ride to Seattle the 10th.  Her Mom doesn't have a car & her father isn't living.  The worst thing of it is that Bunny has to get all of her stuff home.  She is not coming back next year.  Pam's parents will be taking my stuff.  They are bringing a trailer down here.

Hi!  Again -- I just found out that I got an 'A' on my Civilizations notebook & better yet I don't have to take the exam!!  Wow -- how about that!  I sure am overjoyed!  That's one big thing off the brain!!

Well.  I better be going.  Thanks again for the letter and the checks.  Hope you are fine.  Be sure & tell Grandma "Hi"!

Love in Christ,
Bert

P.S.  Glad you like the material of my dress & blouse.  Hope you sent a letter -- or at least the form letter to the Space Program.


No comments:

Items from Uible photo album