Thursday, January 12, 2012

Words via email from Catherine 12-Jan-2002

The game of life is a game of boomerangs.  Our thoughts, deeds, and words return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy. –Florence Scovel


To Family
From Catherine
email dated Saturday 12-January-2002 8:32AM
re: Hope this helps

Good morning!  Here I am again.  Thanks for the info on Wordsmith.  I was able to subscribe and I sent a gift subscription to Wendy – must be a generational thing.  I also copied below some quotes about words that I liked.

The bargain postcards were actually more of a bargain than the price indicates.  Those marked 2¢ and 5¢ I found at a booksale at the AZ Historical Museum.  There were three boxes of postcards marked thusly and I offered $10 for the whole lot which I estimated was about 750 cards – so that makes them what?  about 1.333¢ each.  Also included were maybe 15 of those packets of pictures about the size of postcards that come in long strips with pictures on both sides.  Not much use to someone who wants to mail the.  I'll give them away.  Perhaps 20 of the postcards had been received instead of purchased and they were addressed to a lady in Alhambra, California.  So, if you ever see any boxes of postcards at an estate sale or book sale, bargain on my behalf!  I'm still looking to enlarge my collection.  [This may no longer be true.]  A postcard for every occasion or destination is my goal.  I hope the postage rate doesn't go up so high that I can't afford to send them!  Pick some up in Panama [HH & Jean leave for Panama on 19-Jan-02} since I don't have any from there!  Several years ago I started my collection with about 300 postcards that I bought for $5 at a flea market from a lady who was selling them 10/$ and after I picked out 50 I offered her the $5 for the whole lot and to my surprise she agreed.  I sometimes think of Roberta in her younger days haunting the souvenir stands (for postcards?) on our travels.  I was probably too cheap then to spend much money.

I think we are passing today on the North by Northern walk.  We've had too many late nights this week which is difficult for those of us accustomed to more sleep.  Last night we went out to dinner at Tutti Santi with Gerry's folks and Wendy and a couple of her friends.  It was very LOUD, and the service left a lot to be desired.  We won't be going back there for awhile.  Hope you weren't planning to go there.  Plenty of other restaurants to try!

Tomorrow morning we are heading northwest for Las Vegas and will return Tuesday in time for me to work at 5pm.  Unless we have to sell the car to support our gambling habit and return via Greyhound.  Ha! Ha! as Marianne would write.

We are in the planning stages for a trip to Florida during late February/March.  thinking of flying to WPB and spending a couple days visiting Aunt Mary and the Hortons and then going to see Gerry's sister in Port Orange, just south of Daytona.  Anybody else have travel plans for Florida?

Have a good weekend and hello to everyone else in the family.  Love, Catherine & Gerry


  • Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. – Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • A word in mind is worth two in the book. –Anu Garg
  • Here is a gift to cheer you up after my triumphant victory in Scrabble.   Maybe, with a little help from Wordsmith, one day you'll beat me.  Enjoy it and better luck next time. –Ana Banana
  • The word 'abstemious' has all the vowels in order.  Do you know any other such words?  (facetious, arsenious, adventitious)
  • What is the word for the number one followed by 100 zeros? It is 'googol' as I learned in A.Word.A.Day
  • What is the word for throwing for someone out the window?  The answer is 'defenestration' and you will learn more such fun words at A.Word.A.Day
*****
The above email was sent in response to the email below:

To Catherine
From HH & JWBU
email dated Friday 11-Jan-2002 
Subject – Hope This Helps

[From HH]  Hi:  Let us know if this really does help locate wordsmith.  Must confess that I had never heard of "ebola" until you mentioned it and in today's WSJ.  Enjoyed the item about Dave Thomas on the editorial page in today's WSJ.

Yes we hope to see the Fosters, but nothing definite.  No problem in going by ourselves for we may want to see some other people in the area.

Curious where you that real buy on the postcards?  Do appreciate your writing to us.  

[From JWBU]  I looked off and on all day for a message from you but found nothing but Dad found one written this morning.  Its always good to hear from you on postcards, email.  Its always good to hear from you.  Much love to all of you, Dad & Ma
  • Education: That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding. –Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album