Wednesday, March 31, 2021

1971 Roberta's Letter -Apr.2

 

April 2, 1971 [sent to Senegal]

Dear Mom, Dad, and Joe,

Hi!!!  Hope you all are fine.  I should be fine -- I just got back from the hospital will go more into that later.  I have got the fifty dollars off to U.C. along with the other papers they sent me.  I read about the physical for UC and it had to be sent in to them by the fifteenth of this month so I made an appointment and got in yesterday to a doctor at two thirty in the afternoon.  Then today I had to go to the Newberg hospital and have a chest x-ray.  I did have to get a small pox booster but did not get the tetanus -- I just hope they don't send the physical back to me for not being complete.  Everything is all paid for but it did put a big hole in my income tax check.  I am glad it is all over.

Well, enclosed is my grades which I am fairly happy with.  Just think, if one of those B's would have been an A I would have been on the official dean's list.  How sickening!!!!!  I did ask the Civilization teacher about the grade -- I was afraid there had been a mistake but he said I came thru with an 'A' on the final . . . I think he had a hard time believing it too . . . .

I hope you all are having a good time.  I suppose Joe is a good tour guide.  I am anxious to see some of the pictures of all the things you all are privileged to see.  Just remember -- don't let the natives get you.

Back to my grades.  I got a 98% on my final in English which helped me alot.  I have it but won't send it now since mail to Africa cost 25¢ a half ounce.

I will also mail you all the material I got from the Indian mission people in Canada.  I am only supposed to take some forty pounds of luggage including my sleeping bag.  They also requested us to take duffle bags instead of suitcases so I'm glad I've got the duffle bags.  We aren't allowed shorts.  I am to be in Vancouver by the 17th.  Then the 19th we are to go to Thetis Island for our training.  That is a small island, good luck on finding it if you look for it.

Well, I better be closing.  Hope to hear from you all soon.  How is the weather over there now?  My first speech for speech class will be in two weeks --- how scary . . . .

Love, Bert

No comments:

Items from Uible photo album